Event discusses Latinx activism campuswide, statewide

Self-declared “undocumented and unafraid” activist Benjamin Tzompaxtle Itehua spoke to students on Monday night about his experiences as an undocumented immigrant living in Alabama, and of the work he is doing through the Adelante Alabama Workers Center to fight for rights of immigrant laborers, domestic workers, and their families. 

After the passing of anti-immigration bill HB65 in late 2011, Itehua was  arrested and deported. This sparked his fight to make a difference, as he formed a group that fought to repeal the bill, marching to the door of former Governor Robert J. Bentley, who signed the bill June 9, 2011.

“It’s important to reveal that our lives are always at risk,” said Itehua on the reality of being an undocumented immigrant and an individual protesting these laws and regulations.

Itehua’s speech was part of Latinx Activism 101, an event hosted by Alabama Students Without Borders, the Hispanic-Latino Association, and the School of Social Work, exposed students to active efforts for Latinx activism in the Tuscaloosa community and on campus.

Leaders of Alabama Students Without Borders kicked off the evening by informing the attendees of their hopes to promote student involvement in the Hispanic/ Latinx community in Tuscaloosa, as well as break down barriers to help other students get involved in a variety of ways. From working with bilingual kids Saturday mornings to teaching ESL courses at local high schools, the organization offers a wide variety of activities and volunteer work to further expand students’ knowledge of the Latinx community.

Three university students representing different on-campus organization also discussed activism and outreach on campus. Julianna Diaz, treasurer of the Hispanic-Latino Association, Ruben M.J. Tarajano, Hispanic-Latino liaison for West Alabama AIDS outreach, and Marcelle Peters, president of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, each shared their thoughts on ways the student body could better learn about Latinx and Hispanic culture, as well as what it means to be an activist. 

“When you are trying to be an activist, you have to listen,” Tarajano said. “You have to listen more than you speak to truly learn.”