Students react to conflicts between Trump and Sessions

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has recently found himself the recipient of criticism at the hands of President Donald Trump. The reported conflict between the two is the most recent administrative ordeal of a two-week stretch that includes the replacement of former press secretary Sean Spicer and former White House chief of staff Reince Priebus, and the resignation of communications director Anthony Scaramucci.

Sessions was heavily criticized by Trump for not increasing his involvement in the ongoing investigation into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia. Sessions recused himself from the investigation, which prompted Trump to take to Twitter to express his disapproval and reportedly consider alternatives for Sessions at Attorney General. The discontent between the two has UA students hoping for a swift resolve to the situation so they can return to governing.

“I certainly hope they are able to work through their issues quickly,” said Price McGiffert, vice president of external affairs for SGA. “I hope they are able to do what is best for our country.”

One option that is allegedly being considered is moving Sessions to Director of Homeland Security now that former director John Kelly is serving as his acting chief of staff. This would open up an opportunity for Trump to have an Attorney General more willing to directly involve himself or herself with the Russia probe. It has also been rumored that Trump is considering ousting Sessions altogether.

If Trump decides to fire or reassign Sessions, he would be publicly distancing himself from a member of the GOP that has one of the longest track records of loyalty to Trump. Sessions was one of the very first politicians to come out in public support of Trump during his presidential campaign when Sessions endorsed him at a campaign rally in Madison, Alabama on February 28th, 2016. This early endorsement leapfrogged Sessions from a senator representing Alabama to Attorney General of the United States.

Now, Sessions may be fired or replaced for not intervening in a legal affair regarding the president. However, members of the Republican Party have warned Trump that ousting Sessions could have big political ramifications. A wave of conservative members have come out in support of Sessions, and they are not alone in their criticism of Trump’s alleged desire to find a new Attorney General.

“Despite being the president’s earliest supporter and longtime surrogate, Attorney General Sessions should watch his back,” said Grayson Everett, former communications director for SGA. “In light of his recusal from the case earlier this year, AG Session’s inability to deliver any insight on the Justice Department investigation into Russia has driven Trump mad. It is the latest instance in a career-long strategy by Trump to undermine anyone who gets in his way.”

As it currently stands, the role of communications director and the position of director of Homeland Security remain vacant while Sarah Huckabee-Sanders has replaced Spicer as press secretary.