HIGHLIGHTS: Saban addresses media after defeating Arkansas, before Tennessee

Jacob Arthur

University of Alabama football coach Nick Saban addressed the media Monday prior to his team’s Week 7 matchup against Tennessee.

Here are some highlights from Monday’s press conference:

• Alabama is coming off a 49-30 victory over Arkansas, but Saban said, “I think we had some lapses in the game. I think we still are searching to be able to play a complete game.”

• Defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick, punter JK Scott and quarterback Jalen Hurts were named SEC Players of the Week.
  • The Alabama coaching staff named 11 players of the week after last Saturday’s game. For the offense, offensive linemen Bradley Bozeman, Cam Robinson and Jonah Williams were chosen, along with Hurts. Tapped to represent the defense were linebackers Shaun Dion Hamilton and Tim Williams, with Fitzpatrick. Rashaan Evans. Adam Griffith, Hootie Jones and Scott were picked for special teams.
  • Injury update: “We’re a little banged up after this game,” Saban said. “Not serious thing, but things that may require another day’s rest for several guys, including [linebacker] Reuben Foster and [offensive lineman] Alphonse Taylor.” 
  • Both Foster and Taylor sustained minor concussions against Arkansas. Foster hit his head on the ground. It wasn’t a helmet-to-helmet contact. Saban isn’t sure how Taylor hit his head.

• On playing Tennessee: “This game is a really big rivalry game and special one for a lot of people in our state, our supporters and our fans,” Saban said. “It’s obviously a big game for our players as well, and it’s very challenging to play this game on the road as it always is because there’s a lot of energy and enthusiasm.”
  • Saban was happy with how the defense was able to affect Arkansas quarterback Austin Allen in the backfield, but he was upset with how Alabama defended the passing game as Allen threw for 400 yards.

• The Crimson Tide practices defending a Hail Mary every Thursday, during scrimmages and in the preseason.
  • Alabama hosts Texas A&M on Oct. 22, and the SEC office announced Monday that kick off is set for 2:30 p.m. The game will air on CBS.

What’s next

No. 1 Alabama (6-0) plays No. 9 Tennessee (5-1) on the road at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee, on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.

A little something extra

During interviews with the players, running back Damien Harris stepped in with the rest of the media gang to ask some of his fellow teammates some questions. Lots of laughs shared between each player and Harris. 

Harris snuck into Fitzpatrick’s interview first.

Harris: “I saw whenever you had the ball in your hands you had a couple of moves. Can you explain what it felt like when you had the ball. It looked like you could play running back, honestly?”

Fitzpatrick: “I used to play running back in high school.”

Harris: “I just wanted to see what your thoughts were when had the ball in your hands.”

Fitzpatrick: “Score. That’s what it was. Score.”

Harris then interviewed offensive lineman Ross Pierschbacher

Harris: “What do you think of the running game?”

Pierschbacher: “The running backs have been very good — Josh Jacobs, Bo Scarbrough — all those guys have been very good.”

Player interviews

Offense: Tight end O.J. Howard

Defense: Linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton