UA surveys effort toward diversity

UA surveys effort toward diversity

In The University of Alabama’s ongoing effort to construct a diverse and inclusive campus, the University’s Office of Provost sent out an email Tuesday morning inviting students, faculty and staff to complete two surveys aimed at gauging the level of current diversity efforts. 

According to the email, the first survey, Diversity Mapping Project for The University of Alabama, is aimed at measuring all diversity projects undertaken by community members during the past five years.

The second survey, Diversity Mapping of the UA Curricula Project, is meant only for instructors at the University, in order to gain an understanding of diversity efforts inside the classrooms. 

Each survey should take 18 to 20 minutes and are open from Nov. 1 to Dec. 15. Survey participants must be at least 18 years of age.

The two survey’s are apart of the Diversity Mapping Project, an initiative put forward by President Bell and Interim Provost Kevin Whitaker. Heading the survey effort is Associate Provost Jennifer Greer, who has hired the research firm Halualani & Associates to help conduct the surveys.

As the email states, the Diversity Mapping Project is concurrent with the third goal of the newest Strategic Plan: “[to] enrich our learning and work environment by providing an accepting, inclusive community that attracts and supports a diverse faculty, staff and student body.”