CrimsonRide gains two new buses

CrimsonRide gains two new buses

The CrimsonRide has gained two more buses to add to busy routes.

The buses were procured in October, said Ralph Clayton, assistant director of Transportation Services. The buses were used for the Election Express, a special bus service offered to voters on Nov. 2.

“We got two new ones in the middle of October, and we’re just finished painting them and striping them and putting the graphics and all the logos on them,” Clayton said.

Clayton said aging buses and campus growth prompted a proactive response.

“We’re just trying to keep up with the increase with the growth of the campus, keeping up with ridership,” he said. “Our original buses are getting some age on them now so we have got to make sure we have enough spare to have the flexibility on the routes.”

Clayton said the buses aren’t cheap, costing more than $300,000 each. He also said the University sees a good return on the large investment.

“They’re very quality buses that will last and hold up to the rigors of carrying the number of students that ride on a daily basis,” he said.

Since the program began in 2007, the CrimsonRide buses have experienced heavy loads five days a week and frequent use for special events like game days.

Andrea Lyle, a freshman majoring in psychology, said the bus system made her first months on campus difficult.

“Especially starting out, it was terrible,” Lyle said. “The buses were overcrowded and would skip stops at the busiest times when people needed to get to class.”

Lyle said she believes adding more buses is a viable solution to persistent issues.

“Adding new buses is something they’ve been really needing to do,” she said. “The Crimson[Ride] buses are always the most crowded at the busiest parts of the day, so there is usually nowhere to sit and passengers have to stand.”

Kacie Baird is a junior majoring in communicative disorders. She has a perimeter parking permit and parks at the Recreation Center near the tennis courts, making bus use a part of her daily schedule.

For Baird, adding buses will help the problem, but creating a more reliable schedule would help more.

“I think if the buses were more predictable, that would help a lot,” Baird said. “Like, being able to have a bus come by every 10 minutes, not having two come by within five minutes and then have another come 20 minutes later.”

“Missing a bus can ruin my entire day,” she said.

“If you miss those first two buses, you’re screwed,” she said.

Clayton said Transportation Services plans to work the new buses into the current plan to relieve the overcrowded system.

“We’ve identified some routes with the two new buses that we can plug in during peak hours to help out,” he said.

The CrimsonRide system underwent dramatic changes earlier this semester, including reduction and streamlining of routes.

Lyle said the routes have improved  but the system still faces a lot of work.

“It’s gotten a little better throughout the semester, but it still needs improvement,” she said.