A defense of philosophy

Take this as a warning – do not sign up for Introduction to Philosophy for an easy A. It sounds tempting to go ahead and get your humanities credits out of the way with what you assume to be minimal effort. This assumption is wrong. Introduction to Philosophy is still one of the most challenging classes I have taken in college, and it most definitely was not an easy A. Not even close. But it still remains the most rewarding class I have taken in college and the one that solidified my decision to major in philosophy.

The number one question I get in college is, inevitably, “What is your major?” While it is a simple question to answer, as a philosophy major the response is anything but. Most commonly I get “Have fun working at McDonald’s,” or “Why are your parents doing that? What a waste.” Philosophy is commonly taken to be a major for stoners, hipsters and people whose parents can afford to send them an allowance until they’re 40. The thing is, it is the opposite.

Going to graduate school is a likely path for many millennials, and it is a fact that a lot of us inescapably have to face. Not to mention applying to graduate school is a daunting task. Between a stellar resume, recommendations, and your GPA it can seem like too much to juggle. In applying to graduate school one of the most important considerations to make is what to major in for your undergraduate degree. With 80 undergraduate degree programs at UA it can be hard to narrow down what exactly it is you want to do, especially since it effects your entire academic and career path.

That’s where philosophy comes in. As an interdisciplinary study, UA’s Philosophy department has something to offer regardless of your interests. Three specializations including Jurisprudence, Mind and Brain, and Philosophy and Medicine ensure specific coursework tailored to your goals. And if graduate school is your concern, consider this: philosophy majors are the highest scoring on the GRE, second highest on the LSAT, and third on the GMAT. It’s tough to argue against that (unless, of course, you are a philosophy student who spends the majority of their time arguing).

Throughout my experience as a philosophy major I have gained crucial analytical skills such as reading and writing and learned how to articulate my thoughts and ideas in a clear and organized way. This has benefitted me not just as a student, but also as an employee when I received my first internship. The thing is, my undergraduate major goes far beyond success in one’s career. Philosophy examines questions that plague people for their entire lives. What is the relationship between the soul and the body? Does God exist? What is the difference between right and wrong, and is there such thing as objective morality?

By exploring these essential questions, you gain a much broader understanding of humanity. You get the chance to investigate positions and perspectives that would have otherwise never crossed your mind. By challenging your core beliefs and assumptions about the world you create a much stronger rationalization for your personal worldview. For me personally this has meant letting go of some of my most steadfast beliefs and incorporating new ones into my perspective. There is so much value in skepticism about even your own beliefs, and it is a value that is inherent to philosophy. I will be forever grateful for the lessons I have learned studying philosophy at UA, and I know that these lessons will benefit me beyond coffee shop banter.  

Ryan Anderson is a sophomore majoring in public health. Her column runs biweekly.