Gene Fulmer to apply for position in Hunter Administration

Gene Fulmer, who ran for SGA president this past cycle along with Lillian Roth and Jared Hunter, has decided to apply to join the Hunter administration after his opponent’s victory.  Fulmer will apply to be a member of Hunter’s cabinet for the term, with a focus on director of engagement.  

The idea to apply came from Hunter himself after the election results were announced via Facebook Live.  Cabinet members will be revealed after an application process, Fulmer said.

“I’m going to apply later this weekend,” Fulmer said.

Those closest to Fulmer may have wished for a different result election night, however they are ecstatic that he will attempt to continue to serve campus.

“Gene’s supporters have been excited to see him on the cabinet,” said Ryan Murphy, Fulmer’s campaign director.  “Few people are as engaging on individual and collective levels as he is.”

Fulmer promised in his election campaign that he would be involved on multiple levels with the student body, whether he won or lost.  He also promised to increase his involvement with mental health activism and continue his work with deaf education.

His two biggest campaign platforms are still his two biggest goals for this campus as a member of Hunter’s cabinet.  He is still aiming to change “End the Stigma” to “Know the Five” in order to achieve a more proactive approach to understanding those suffering with mental illness.

Fulmer is a firm believer in the University leading the way for other colleges throughout Alabama. After pledging to work on bringing education to the deaf to The University of Alabama during his unsuccessful presidential campaign, Fulmer is still working to make The University of Alabama accessible to students who are deaf. 

“Deaf education efforts are gaining ground on campus,” Murphy said.  

Just this past week, Deaf Hands Speak teamed up with Tide Talks to deliver a presentation to UA students about deaf culture. 

“No matter what the plan should be, the first step needs to be getting people to realize what they’re not aware of,” Murphy said. “Gene and I will do our best to keep the student body and SGA senate aware of any progress we need to see.”