PLSA preps students for law school

For students with hopes of attending law school, the guest speakers, mentorship and leadership opportunities provided by the Pre-Law Student Association can make all the difference, Nick Lambert, president of the PLSA said in an e-mailed statement.

“The PLSA provides students who wish to enter law school an opportunity to interact with other students who share the same intentions of attending law school,” Lambert said. “Students can come together, share information about their experiences, and participate in a community of people who have the same goals and interests.”

Those goals and interests include taking the LSAT and applying to law school, Lambert said. The PLSA hosts guest speakers, practice LSAT sessions, application workshops and offers students leadership opportunities that will ultimately make them more competitive in the law school application process.

“At our meetings, we have a speaker every week that informs us about various components of the legal field,” Lambert said. “This includes current law students, law professors, attorneys, judges, admission deans from various law schools around the country, and UA professors that possess knowledge on topics that involve the legal profession. Each provides a different insight and allows us to know the inner workings on life before, during, and after law school.”

But the PLSA isn’t just about enriching its members, Lambert said. Students participate in three to five philanthropy projects annually including Relay for Life. Members also team up with current UA law students to educate local high schools about the dangers of drinking and driving during the spring semester.

Students can also participate in the PLSA’s subset group, the Mock Trial Team, Lambert said. The team allows students to act out court cases, portray lawyers, witnesses and defense attorneys. Although the team was restarted last year, it won its first competition and plans to enter two to three national competitions this year.

Wendy McMillian, staff advisor for the PLSA, said that students involved in the PLSA gain significant knowledge and advantages through their peers.

“Students do learn to work as part of a group, they also have a lot of opportunities for leadership positions,” McMillian said. “A lot of it too is creating relationships with other students who are on the same path they are.”

Christian Holston, PLSA Chairman of Recruitment and Membership, said in an e-mailed statement that the leadership opportunities provided by the organization will help students be successful in the future.

“Holding a position in PLSA will help build your resume and allow you to become greatly involved with the organization,” Holston said. “After graduating, jobs look for this type of involvement.”

Holston said he hopes to attract new members by simply getting the PLSA’s name out there on campus.

“In order to recruit new members, I try to get as much information about PLSA to the student body as I can, in various different ways,” Holston said. “Members of PLSA have created flyers that we post in popular locations around campus. Right now we are hoping to put together a T-shirt design.”

Undergraduate and graduate students from all majors are welcome to join the PLSA, Holston said. Membership for the year costs $10 and members must attend six or more meetings.

The PLSA holds an annual Law School Fair in the Ferguson Ballroom where students can talk to law school representatives and gather information about law school and its application process. For more information on PLSA, its event schedule, and the Law School Fair, visit prelaw.ua.edu.