Center For Academic Success Expands Services

The UA Center for Academic Success, which has assisted students with their studies for years, is now expanding their efforts to help even more students perform well in the 2016-2017 school year.  

The CAS, located in Osband Hall, provides students with group instruction sessions, study skills, reading workshops and tutoring sessions. This year, the CAS is now offering more study skills workshops than ever before. The brand new workshops will cover time management, reading and final exam preparation.

CAS offers help in a variety of classes, but places a high focus on math, science and business courses.  All math courses at the University are covered, and the science assistance available centers on chemistry and biology. Most of the center’s business sessions are aimed towards entry-level and lower-level courses.

Upperclassmen regularly attend sessions held by the CAS, but freshmen are the primary target audience. The center’s website has a link dedicated to freshmen tips and guidelines to help students adjust to their new academic environment.

Assistant director, Richard Livingston, says the stronger focus on freshmen is due to higher demand. Freshman tend to need more help adjusting to college life and classes, so CAS offers more sessions that tend to those needs, Livingston said. 

“We particularly focus on first-year and freshmen students because they are the ones who need help the most,” Livingston said.  “We help them transition into the college level.”  

The Center for Academic Success is located inside Osband Hall on Magnolia Drive. It is open from 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 8 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. Friday. Session appointments and other information can be found on the CAS website, www.ctl.ua.edu.