Good….good and salty

I’ve spent far too much time contemplating this article. Sometimes, I have felt this overwhelming duty to impart illuminating wisdom and inspire you to be better or to do more. At other times, I’ve had this grand vision of slowly rocking on a front porch with all 36,000 of you sharing in a slough of fascinating tales: tales of triumph and defeat, of overindulgence and underperformance, of late nights and early morns, of swelling pride and sweltering prejudice. For the folks who know my old-souled self, that one would come as no surprise. At times other times still, I’ve wanted to demonstrate to you just how far this University has come and how much it has changed in my six years on campus, but also let you know just how far we have yet to go. Keep fighting the good fight on that front. Racial epitaphs may not echo down University Boulevard in broad daylight, but we’d be naïve to assume they aren’t uttered underground and behind closed doors.

I won’t necessarily do any of these things, though. I will, however, give you some advice that has been hard-won through two degrees, a few scars and a hairline in rapid retreat. This advice will sound relatively simplistic and characteristically folksy in its delivery. To some, this advice may even sound a bit patronizing, but please do know that it comes from a place of caring, compassion and concern. I am convinced that to some small degree, I have stumbled onto the recipe for that “good life” we all seek. My advice is simple and it comes in three parts, so hopefully those of you as memory-challenged as I can hold onto the mix.

Be good people.

Be good stewards.

Be the salt of the earth.

The first part is fairly self-explanatory. My great-grandmother, Mama B, would have interpreted this axiom to simply mean: “treat folks right.” In order to “treat folks right,” you must first recognize that every living, breathing human being has immeasurable value and an irreplaceable perspective. Life is a precious gift and the moment we start to devalue each other based on subjective, arbitrary distinctions is the moment when human life, itself, begins to lose value. When humanity is no longer valued, we cease hesitation at killing or maiming one another over such trivialities as road rage or consumeristic frenzy; we are seeing this play out in our society every day. Love and respect would go leaps and bounds towards alleviating the current climate. It has been noted that even the simplest gestures such as smiling or nodding have immense power with regard to happiness (for both parties), social connectedness and interpersonal growth. In essence, even academia confirms the benefits of being good people.

My second recommendation is as much for me and for posterity as it is for you, but hey, that is part of belonging to a community. Your actions directly affect the experience of others, especially future generations. Take care of the facilities around you, and be dedicated curators of the opportunities and organizations that you have been entrusted. Should you fail this duty, future students may never enjoy the same access to resources and experiences as you. Never rob the future to serve today. Especially never rob the future to serve your own selfishness or shortsightedness.

Finally, the piece of advice I’ve had the hardest time following: be the salt of the earth. While this advice can be the hardest to follow, it can also be abundantly rewarding. Regardless of your faith or lack thereof, we can all concede that each of us is a unique being, created (or suited) to fulfill a very specific role in society; our own. Embrace that and accept it. The sooner you do the happier you will be. The south is no doubt culturally distinct from the rest of the nation and at times that can lend itself to homogeneity, but just remember that being true to yourself often paves the way for others to be more comfortable in their own skin. So go ahead and wave that rainbow flag, get that piercing, wear your hair natural, join that club or take that job; being true to yourself is the greatest gift you can give the world.

As I embark on my next journey and say goodbye to this hallowed institution, I am thankful for the relationships I’ve been blessed with, the education I have received, and the opportunities I’ve been given. Most of all, I am thankful I was lucky enough to walk this campus beside you. You see, you play such an instrumental part in defining the culture of this University and of the state of Alabama. Please make it count. Be good people, be good stewards, and be the salt of the earth and you will find fulfillment wherever you go. Do these things and you will be amazed the doors it will open. Until we meet again, my friend. 

Landon Nichols is graduating with a Master of Public Administration. He served as an Avanti Team Leader, NSAC AdTeam Treasurer, and Blackburn Institute Student Chair. After graductionation, he is returning to his roots deep in the heart of the Black Belt to become the Destination and Area Marketing Coordinator for the Selma and Dallas County Chamber of Commerce.