Club golf gives back to community through First Tee program

The First Tee of America’s mission is to impact the lives of young people by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through the game of golf.

The University of Alabama’s club golf team is able to live out this mission on a daily basis. The team partners with the Ol’ Colony Golf Complex and First Tee of Tuscaloosa to impact the lives of the local youth in the Tuscaloosa community.

Club president Daniel Ayers, a sophomore majoring in accounting, loves competing in tournaments, but knows giving back to the community is an important part of the club.

“It’s great working for the first tee,” Ayers said. “I like that our club not only competes but also gives back to the community.”

Ayers loves being able to teach the kids the fundamentals of golf. He also appreciates the chance to teach them important life skills.

“We go out and help teach the kids about golf, and the First Tee codes of conduct,” he said. “We do it for the kids.”

Team member Noah Beatty also acknowledges the importance of giving back to the local community. Beatty said the team uses golf as a vehicle to teach life lessons, and he enjoys seeing the kids not only grow as golfers but as people.

“The most rewarding thing is seeing the smiles on their faces,” Beatty said. “The kids come back and tell you they have been practicing in their backyard or went to the driving range, and that is really good to here that you are making a difference in their lives.”