Alabama men's tennis earns road victory at Ole Miss

Sophomore Matthew Rossouw was facing a situation that has become quite familiar to him. After losing the first set, Rossouw would need a comeback to win his singles match.

And for the third straight match, Rossouw did just that.

The Alabama men’s tennis team earned a 4-3 win against the Ole Miss Rebels Sunday afternoon, moving the team’s record to 14-10 on the year, 5-5 in the SEC.

It started with the Crimson Tide claiming the doubles point, marking the seventh straight match its done so. Freshman Spencer Richey and Rossouw delivered a 6-2 victory on court three, and sophomore Korey Lovett and freshman Mazen Osama secured the point with a 6-4 win on court one.

Singles play was contested from the start, with both Alabama and Ole Miss winning three of the six first sets. Alabama earned its second point with senior Becker O’Shaughnessey winning 6-3, 6-4 on court three. O’Shaughnessey had been sick with the flu and didn’t travel until the day of the match.

Osama then put the Crimson Tide up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win on court one.

Ole Miss got on the board with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Lovett on court two, and then delivered a second point with a 6-2, 7-6 (3) win over Richey on court four.

Alabama clinched the team victory with Rossouw’s 0-6, 7-5, 6-4 comeback on court five. The final match would play out, with Ole Miss earning a third point with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 win over sophomore Danny Kerznerman.

Up next, the Crimson Tide travels to No. 25 Mississippi State to play the Bulldogs on Sunday, April 10at 1 p.m. CT.