Honors College hosts speech by Attorney General Luther Strange

The Honors College hosted, as part of the Anne Campbell Bloom Lecture Series, a speech by Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange about how he became interested in politics and law as well as his strong beliefs about public service. The event took place in Graves Hall March 28, where students and faculty gathered for a chance to hear him speak and to ask their questions.

Hal Bloom, who gave the introduction, said Strange “fights white collar crimes” and helps others when he can, which Strange said is what got him into the political field.

“I thought to myself, maybe I could make a difference,” Strange said.

Strange was elected attorney general in 2010 and re-elected in 2014. Though he originally ran for public office in 2006 and ultimately lost in the general election.

“I was discouraged, but I now tell myself you cannot be discouraged in politics or in life,” Stange said.

He also listed some ideals he felt students should keep in mind, regardless of their major; Ask questions, be inquisitive, learn team work, keep an open mind and remember people are very interested in giving advice.

Strange spoke a lot on past presidents, and said they are often his inspiration for leadership.

“It’s important to read their work and learn what worked for them,” Strange said.

To name a few, Strange mentioned Abraham Lincoln, Dwight Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan in his lecture. For Chandler Shields, a junior majoring in public relations, Reagan’s mention was important.

“[Strange] got to hear Ronald Reagan speak, my favorite president, and maybe one day [students] will be able to say we heard him speak,” Shields said. “I think it’s very special and important when political leaders come to colleges. It’s reassuring to know people like him are in office.”

Strange focused a lot on students getting involved and very little on his own political success.

For the second half of the event, students and faculty were able to ask questions, some about his work personally as attorney general, others a bit more specific. Dana Sweeney, a junior majoring in English, asked how Strange felt about the attention in the media the state of Alabama has gotten recently, for issues concerning same-sex marriage and how Strange felt what this would mean for the Alabama LGBTQA+ community in the future.

“I was just really interested in his position on same-sex marriage, and he gave an interesting answer,” Sweeney said. “He said the Constitution is the ‘law of the land.’”

Sweeney said he wished Strange would have elaborated a bit more, but that he’s read Strange’s position in news articles and was just really happy to have him speak.

Anne Bloom, an Alabama alum of ’78 and friend of Strange, said she loves the University and the honors program and thought Strange was a great choice for the event.

“I like students seeing him as a human who is just as regular as they are, he’s a great public servant,” Bloom said.