Soccer starts spring season with win over Georgia State

Coming off a 5-12-2 regular season which saw the Crimson Tide soccer team come up just short of making the SEC Tournament, Alabama coach Wes Hart is looking to not only compete this spring, he wants to win.

“For me winning these games is important,” he said. “We need to learn how to win games. We need to learn to not accept losing anymore.”

Alabama kicked off its spring season at home on Saturday with a 2-0 victory over Georgia State. Sophomore forward Lacey Clarida led the team, scoring both goals.

The Crimson Tide jumped out to the early 2-0 lead and was able to hold on the rest of the game. Hart liked his teams first half, but he said the second half left him wanting more.

“I thought the start to the game was excellent, I thought we came out with some life and energy, and we were moving the ball well, we were active and busy,” he said. “As the game progressed fatigue set in.”

The team added mid-year enrollee Chloe Maize and Hart is already seeing the impact she can bring to the team.

“Chloe is fantastic. I am very pleased with Chloe,” he said. “She has the ability to score goals and create, whether it be on the dribble or with combinations. She will be able to add something to our attack we were missing a year ago.”

The Crimson Tide will take a few of weeks off before its next spring game on Thursday, March 31 against Mississippi State.