SGA facilitates absentee voting

To facilitate voter turnout, the Student Government Association and other student organizations on campus are encouraging students to become registered voters for upcoming elections.

Most college students, however, are seeking an education in a city that is not their hometown, and even for Tuscaloosa natives, class schedules or a lack of a convenient means of transportation may render students unable to attend official polling stations to cast their votes.

Grant Cochran, vice president of external affairs, said the SGA has been working to bypass these hindrances to voter turnout by declaring the importance of voter registration and the use of absentee ballots.

“The SGA is publicizing the importance of voting in order to get more students to vote absentee,” Cochran said. “We are also holding a registration drive from now until Oct. 23. Forms are located in the SGA office.”

Cochran said Oct. 23 is the last day to register for voting, but because absentee ballots must be requested prior to the election, timing is especially important.

Students can cast ballots for Tuscaloosa elections if they register to vote, Cochran added.

“Because students are in Tuscaloosa over half of the year, they can help vote for candidates and decisions that will affect their immediate community,” Cochran said. “The more students involved, the better.”

CadeAnn Smith, president of College Republicans, said absentee voting helps to repair the disconnect that may develop between out-of-town students and Tuscaloosa politics.

“It’s important to absentee vote because most students are more interested and familiar with their hometown candidates rather than those of Tuscaloosa,” Smith said. “I think some students see Tuscaloosa as a city that they’re visiting and they have trouble connecting to local candidates.”

Smith said students should contact their hometown courthouse to learn how to become registered for absentee voting.

“It does take some time to get your request processed and then send you the ballot, so it would need to be done soon,” Smith said. “I know from personal experience when voting in the primary this summer, it took quite a bit longer than I expected.”

Michael Patrick, president of College Democrats, said absentee voting will impact local elections.

“I’m not sure if absentee voting will play a large role in the gubernatorial election, but in local elections, it may be more important,” Patrick said.

Patrick said students can stop by the SGA office to have a representative help them fill out the requisite voter registration forms, and the SGA will also turn in those forms to the appropriate office.