UA students need funding, not firearms

Over the past several years, the topic of gun control has been hotly contested in the political arena. Perhaps because of Alabama’s deeply conservative nature, the topic of guns has made an appearance in the State House almost annually. Two years ago, former State Senator Scott Beason (R-Gardendale) authored a proposal to allow drivers to carry loaded handguns in vehicles without a concealed carry permit – against the wishes of Alabama’s law enforcement agencies. The proposal may see new light at this year’s legislative session, along with a proposal that hits closer to home for UA students.

State Representative Mack Butler (R-Rainbow City) has proposed a state constitutional amendment that would prohibit public universities from restricting the concealed carry of firearms on their campuses. Such a proposal not only undermines the control of the University’s administration but also highlights yet another disconnect between Montgomery and the interest of higher education in the state of Alabama.

In his rationale for proposing such a constitutional amendment, which would require a statewide vote, Representative Butler is quoted as saying, “instead of the politicians making the decision, let the people weigh in on this,” calling the topic a “sensitive issue.” 

The problem, however, is that this proposal takes the decision further out of the hands of those directly affected by its impact – students, faculty and administrators of this state’s many colleges and universities. A statewide vote is not representative of the many people who do business daily on campuses such as The University of Alabama. The idea of placing a decision affecting student safety in the hands of voters from across the state who may never even step foot on the campus of an Alabama public college or university is irresponsible and ignores the wishes of administrators and police departments that have made student safety their life’s work.

In a state seeking to improve its economic reputation nationwide, a condition directly tied to educational achievement, the two main higher education headlines from the State House in the past year have now involved UAB football and guns on campus. Nothing has come toward properly funding Alabama’s four-year public universities in a way that would slow down the yearly increase in student tuition rates. If Alabama lawmakers want to encroach on the University’s administrative expertise, they should first look in the mirror, or perhaps the budget, and provide more than the ~18 percent they currently support of The University of Alabama annual budget.

Allowing concealed carry on campus may one day be a decision university officials wish to make, as there is currently no state law preventing any school from doing so. Some, like Athens State in North Alabama, allow licensed firearms to be kept locked in vehicles while students are on campus. Just like any business in the state, colleges and universities should have the ability to make such decisions as their professional judgement dictates. 

If politicians are truly interested in promoting student safety, and not simply politically grandstanding against anything they label as a “gun-free zone,” they should refrain from simply throwing guns into the mix, but perhaps grant supportive funding for university police departments statewide in an effort to increase responsiveness. At last check, visitors to the State House are still required to pass through metal detectors, and it’s unlikely that will ever change. Let’s leave campus safety policy up to the administrators, faculty and students whom it affects, and keep it out of the hands of those whom it does not.

Hunter Richey is a junior majoring in economics and political science. His column runs biweekly.