Tide rebounds from Sooners loss, wins home opener

Senior guard Trevor Releford scored 11 of Alabama’s first 13 points and did not slow down until the final buzzer in Alabama’s 76-64 win over Texas Tech Thursday night.

Releford knocked down a career-high five 3-pointers and led all scorers with 29 points on 11-of-14 shooting in the first game of the Big 12/SEC Challenge.

“He’s a very talented player, very tough, hard-nosed kid,” Texas Tech coach Tubby Smith said. “We just had no answer for him. He got off to great start shooting the ball and never let up. When that happens to you it can be a long night.”

Alabama (1-1) claimed its first win of the season in the team’s home opener after falling to the Oklahoma Sooners Nov. 8.

The Crimson Tide was plagued by fouls against Oklahoma, which kept Releford on the bench. But he said that was not an issue against the Red Raiders (2-1).

“I don’t necessarily think that it played a factor,” Releford said. “I just think I had some open shots, open looks and credit my teammates for finding me. I just tried to step up and make some shots.”

Alabama only committed nine fouls, compared to Texas Tech’s 15. Less fouls meant Releford was on the court, and his presence on the floor propelled the Crimson Tide offense all night.

“Trevor really stepped up and put the team on his back with some big shots that kind of got the crowd into it and gave our team a level of excitement,” coach Anthony Grant said.

Sophomore guard Retin Obasohan finished the game with 15 points, four rebounds and five steals. Junior guard Levi Randolph scored 10 points.

Freshman Jimmy Taylor made his first appearance in the starting lineup at center and made the most of his 21 minutes. He scored 4 points, pulled down six rebounds and blocked four shots.

“I thought Jimmy really did a great job,” Grant said. “His upside is tremendous, and he plays with a lot of energy. He’s able to affect shots, able to rebound the ball. I think with every practice, with every game, he continues to get better and better.”

The Crimson Tide knocked down 28-51 (55 percent) of its shots from the floor, while shooting 43 percent (6-14) from the 3-point line.

Alabama will face Stillman in the first game of the NIT Season Tipoff Monday night at 7 p.m. in Coleman Coliseum.

The Crimson Tide is the No. 3 seed and is one of four host schools for the event, joining Rutgers, Arizona and Duke.

“We played Stillman last year, but each year teams have new teams,” Randolph said in a video on rolltide.com. “I’m excited to be able to play in the NIT and just come out there and try to give it our all.”