UA increases enrollment to record levels

The University’s enrollment reached more than 30,000 for the 2010-11 academic year, according to a Sept. 15 press release.

Enrollment totaled 30,232 students, the most in the school’s 179-year history.

“The outstanding academic credentials of our freshman class clearly demonstrate that the University of Alabama is improving in quality as it grows in size,” said UA President Robert Witt in the press release. “We are pleased to reach the 30,000 milestone, but we are even more pleased with the talent and ability of our students.”

In 2003, Witt announced a plan to grow enrollment to 28,000 by 2013. The Sept. 15 announcement of success came three years early and with more than 2,000 additional students.

Luke Lawlor, a junior majoring in classics, said the growth of the University has been good for the community.

“I think it’s been pretty awesome,” Lawlor said. “It’s really cool to see so many people and so much activity, especially during the games.

“Restaurants and coffee places and such coming and going makes me feel like I’m back in a place like Chicago or somewhere similarly large,” Lawlor said. “Being able to see someplace new is always nice.”

Lawlor said the growth comes with drawbacks, however.

“As cool as being surrounded by all these people is, it’s sometimes an issue,” Lawlor said. “Game days are the most obvious examples for overcrowding.”

Lawlor said the benefits outweighed the costs.

“The international connections are amazing, too,” Lawlor said. “I love our study abroad programs.”

Lawlor also said he thinks the bustling student body is good for local businesses.

“These massive amounts of people also mean businesses are going to try to cater to different groups, which is always interesting,” Lawlor said. “I don’t know the history of the business, but I’m sure a place like Big Daddy’s wouldn’t be here if UA [wasn’t] as big as it is.”

Ellie Creitz, however, does not consider the growth to be great news.

Creitz, a junior in New College, said crowding and rising tuition are major concerns.

“I think it’s getting entirely too crowded, like the town is getting too big for its britches,” Creitz said. “It’s trying to compensate for more students, but there’s no way to effectively do that without tearing down half of the city.

“If we’re expanding at such a rapid rate, is there really a need to keep upping tuition?” Creitz asked. “Call me biased, but it’s ridiculous. One three-hour online class was over $1,200.”

Creitz said she thinks such a large student body should give UA financial independence.

“You’d think they’d reach a plateau at which the student population could increase without tuition increasing,” Creitz said.

UA tuition increased almost 100 percent for in state and out of state students between 2002 and 2009, while enrollment grew from about 19,600 to 28,800. At Auburn University, tuition increased 108 percent for in-state and 97 percent for out-of-state students in the same time frame. Auburn’s enrollment grew from about 24,000 to about 25,000.

Kacy Davis, a junior majoring in restaurant and hospitality management, said she has enjoyed the University’s growth because of the jobs it creates.

“Now that I’m a student, I notice how many jobs we fill all over town and the impact we have on local businesses, especially when campus clears out for the summer,” Davis said.

Davis said the growth brought significant parking and traffic problems.

“Parking stinks. Most of my classes are in Bidgood and Alston this semester, and I can almost never park behind ten Hoor, which leaves the lots beside the stadium,” Davis said. “I have no idea why UA hasn’t increased the number of parking lots and decks.

“Instead, we’ve gained the bus system,” Davis said. “I never have been able to rely on the buses, which doesn’t reflect badly on the bus drivers but on how they’ve engineered the routes, timing, etc.”

William Gonzenbach, a professor in the department of advertising and public relations and a teacher at the University for 20 years, said the growth is great for UA and the community.

“The growth has led to an exceptional and diverse student body and it has helped provide the resources to maintain an excellent faculty and a beautiful and vibrant campus,” Gonzenbach said.

Gonzenbach said there are few negative aspects.

“I really haven’t seen any drawbacks,” Gonzenbach said. “My classes are full, and I think that’s a great thing for all concerned.”

“I’ve been at Alabama for 20 years, and I can say without question this is the most exciting, dynamic time I’ve experienced here,” Gonzenbach said. “I think it is an exceptional place today for faculty, staff and students.”