UAPD to investigate a sexual assault

According to an emailed statement by the University of Alabama Police, a UA student reported a sexual assault to UAPD on Aug. 30 at 1:47 p.m.

The student reported the assault occurred on Aug. 30 at 3:15 a.m. in the 800 Block of Magnolia Drive.

The student said she was walking when a male in a white vehicle approached her. He said he was part of a church organization providing sober rides for people in need of one. The student accepted the ride. When they arrived at her destination, the male committed a forcible sexual act. The student forced the suspect to stop and she exited the vehicle and fled. She described the suspect as a white male, approximately 6-feet and 185 pounds with short brown hair, brown eyes, of an average build in his early 20s. She described the car as a white SUV-style 2008-2015 truck.

UAPD asked that anyone with more information call UAPD at 348-5454 or Crime Stoppers at 752-7867(STOP).

Update:

Police arrested Joseph Christopher Spota Tuesday evening and charged him with first-degree rape and first-degree kidnapping.

According to a media release by the Tuscaloosa County Homicide Unit, investigators have been contacted by other women who said they had similar incidents with someone attempting to pick them up in the Strip area.

The release says video evidence shows another unidentified person who is contacted by someone driving a white FJ Cruiser. This happened in the area of Caplewood Drive around 1:50 a.m. on Aug. 30th.

The Tuscaloosa Homicide Unit asks that anyone who may have had contact with him or anyone in a white FJ Cruiser to contact law enforcement or crime stoppers.

UAPD also asks for help in gathering more information. In an email from UA News, UAPD said the suspect may have come in contact with other woman. Anyone with more information can contact UAPD.