Wireless Internet comes to The Strip

The Strip, known for its energetic nightlife, will acquire an academic dimension to its existence for the next two years.

The University and the Technology Council of the West Alabama Chamber of Commerce will collaborate on a two-year experiment to provide wireless Internet access to the area spanning from Bryant-Denny Stadium to Reed Street.

George Hamner, a volunteer for the Technology Council, said the council he serves on pushed for the provision of the wireless Internet access.

“The original incentive came from the West Alabama Chamber of Commerce,” Hamner said.

Hamner said the Technology Council of the chamber searches for technological developments that serve economic interests and promote advancements in technology.

Hamner said the idea for tide-fi was passed on to David Hale, professor in the department of management information systems, who compelled his students in a data networking class to develop the concept. Those students in turn set their sights on The Strip as a convenient location for wireless Internet access.

Hamner said tide-fi is not what is termed municipal wi-fi, where the city provides wireless access that can compete with commercial providers such as AT&T.

“[Those companies] wouldn’t be happy about a tax-supported network,” Hamner said.

Instead, the University has agreed to pay for the hardware that has been installed on store windows and roofs, and AT&T has stepped forward to sponsor the bandwidth for the two-year experiment.

Hamner said tide-fi has been designed with limitations because of its tentative nature.

“The speed is throttled down a bit,” Hamner said, “and the network gives users two hours of contiguous internet access every twelve hours.”

After twelve hours, an individual can log back into the network for two non-intermittent hours. Access, in short, cannot be spaced throughout the day.

Hamner said reeling in businesses on The Strip was not a hindrance to the experiment.

“There really was no difficulty at all in getting businesses involved to have the wireless nodes [that enable internet access] installed,” Hamner said.

Hamner said tide-fi will attract patrons to the area, which has laid a foundation for businesses to cooperate in the experiment.

He said the network, however, needs some minor adjustments to ensure full coverage in the area near Firehouse Subs.

“[The network] still needs a little bit of work for coverage,” Hamner said. “But, it’s essentially up and running.”

Hamner said the experiment will ultimately enhance the appeal of The Strip by bringing to the area an academic service previously absent.

Andrew Lindenberg, a sophomore majoring in art and business, said he sees tide-fi as a tool for multi-tasking.

“I think most people will use the internet in their dorms, but if they decide to do work as they get food, it opens up places to multi-tasking,” Lindenberg said.

However, Lindenberg said he disliked the two-hour limitation.

“I think the two-hour [limitation] is kind of ridiculous,” Lindenberg said. “They should make it two hours cumulative.”

Stephen Killen, a sophomore in New College, said he used tide-fi to look up movie times while eating on The Strip. However, he also said he disliked the two hour constriction.

“The two hour thing doesn’t make sense to me,” Killen said.