Women's golf team focused on improvement

It may not have been easy or fun but junior Emma Talley said she’s seen the improvement. And it comes as the Crimson Tide prepares to compete in the annual Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic this weekend.

“We were up and down, we could’ve done better but it could’ve been worse and I just think that coming off of [the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate] we all found things we needed to do to get better,” Talley said. “We came back with a good attitude, ready to get better and work on those things. [Coach] Mic [Potter] has been doing [things] a little bit different in practices 
lately and it has been really efficient. Everyone seems more focused. I think everyone is improving a lot, we all kind of pinpointed what we needed to get better on and he’s really been 
trying to help us.”

The Liz Murphey tournament is a staple in the Alabama spring schedule. Unlike most other tournaments, the Liz Murphey is a two-part tournament with day one being solely stroke play and day two being match play. This style of tournament mirrors the NCAA championship, just on a 
smaller scale.

Talley, junior Janie Jackson, sophomores Cammie Grey and Mia Landegren and freshman Lakareber Abe will be competing this weekend in Athens, Georgia.

Talley missed out on the Liz Murphey tournament last year due her appearance in the Kraft Nabisco Tournament. However, she was confident that the upcoming tournament would be beneficial for the team.

Last season the Crimson Tide came in sixth at the Liz Murphey tournament. However, this season has been vastly different then the last, especially when it comes to game time. Coach Mic Potter had to adapt his practice schedule to help address the issues his team has been facing over the season.

In the two weeks since the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate tournament, the team has been focusing on ball-striking and commitment.

Commitment has become a main theme this season as the team is relying on younger athletes to represent the team. However, Potter said he has seen a difference in his team recently.

“I think our team is getting better and better little by little,” Potter said. “This is a kind of team that one day can really break loose. I’m looking forward to getting those opportunities and getting them out there and seeing when it might happen.”