Alabama can influence SEC

In October, President Judy Bonner was appointed to the selection committee for the new SEC Commissioner. Current SEC Commissioner Mike Slive is retiring in July after 13 years of growing the SEC, launching an ESPN network solely focused on the SEC and successfully marketing the SEC in all 16 sports played. He solidified a reputation of SEC athletic dominance that imposes fear on out-of-conference teams and draws the envy of other athletic conferences. His departure leaves a foundation of excellence for the SEC to continue building on. Whoever the successor may be, President Bonner will be involved in the selection, and she must influence the selection towards a candidate who recognizes the value, importance and influence of Alabama Athletics. Yes, you read that right, I’m calling for an SEC Commissioner with a slight bias favoring Alabama for two reasons.

First, The University of Alabama is history of athletic success in the past and present not only pertains to football, but also to golf, softball and gymnastics. The hiring of Athletic Director Bill Battle nearly two years ago has raised the bar for all sports teams at the Capstone. He has pushed for the development of greater facilities for all athletics, and the results are coming into fruition. His immense influence across the college sports spectrum is recognizable through his company, Collegiate Licensing Company, which produces trademark licensing and marketing for over 200 universities. One needs only to check the merchandise at the SUPe Store to see the hologram CLC logo asserting authenticity. Yeah, that’s his company.

Perhaps Bill Battle will be the next SEC Commissioner, but his age, 74, might be a red-flag to the selection committee as whatever goals he set might not be completed by the end of his tenure. For now, let’s hope he stays, continues the Battle Plan that has paid off dividends for Alabama Athletics, and finishes his illustrious career at his alma mater. With him at the helm of athletics and our history of success in athletics, the new SEC Commissioner will certainly listen to our advice and show bias for us.

Second, as the University continues to grow with excellence and attract students from across the nation, the athletic interests of the students multiplies. Student-athletes possess discipline, especially about academics, and a diversity of demographics and upbringings that enhance the academic experience for all students. If the University pursues additional sports to their portfolio such as men’s soccer, lacrosse, equestrian, ice hockey, fencing, wrestling and men’s rowing, fellow SEC schools will follow suit and increase their number of sports. The talent for additional sports may already be on campus with more attending every year. Increasing the number of Division 1 sports while maintaining Title IX compliance enhances campus life for all and increases the brand value of the Capstone and Alabama Athletics. A combination of the SEC Commissioner believing the SEC needs more sports and Alabama expanding athletics will once again draw envy from other schools and conferences.

For more than one reason, Alabama is the leader of the SEC. Our record of success and leadership in athletics is second to none. The diversity of our students and their talents range farther and wider than any other SEC school. Built by Bama should not only apply to Alabama Athletics, but also to the SEC.

Patrick Crowley is a senior majoring in mathematics, finance and economics. He is the opinions editor of The 
Crimson White.