UA Be the Match competes with Texas A&M

MCT

Be The Match is a nation wide bone marrow registry and it operates through student organizations at multiple colleges. The University of Alabama’s branch of Be The Match held its biannual drive on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tables were set up to receive students who were asked about their health history and family health history. They also provided a cheek swab so Be The Match could have their DNA on file.

“The whole process takes 10 minutes,” said Rachel Harris, the community engagement representative for Be The Match for the state of Alabama. “Thirty-five people registered on Tuesday, and so far 10 have registered today. We are hoping for a lot more.”

To register, a person must be between the ages of 18 and 44, though the best ages to donate are between 18 and 24. It is also required that a person be in healthy condition and willing to donate to any patient in need.

Besides gaining a great number of registered people, this year’s drive served another purpose.

“This year, Be The Match at The University of Alabama is competing against Texas A&M,” said Caitlin Roach, a senior majoring in biology and president of Be The Match for The University of Alabama. “It’s a three-fold competition. Whoever registers the most people gets a point and whoever raises the most money at the Chipotle fundraiser gets a point, and whoever raises the most money on the online donation page gets a point.”

Roach said this year the prize would be bragging rights and with the University of Alabama vs. Texas A&M game occurring Saturday, the competition is a great way to pump students up for the game.

Some students may have misconceptions about donating and Roach said she hopes the drive will curb any uneasiness.

“We want to raise awareness that bone marrow donation really is not that scary or painful,” she said. “We have several people in the organization who have already donated who will gladly explain the process to wary individuals.”

Several students have already registered, such as Janison Hunter, a sophomore majoring in biology.

“I’m registering because it’s a good cause,” he said.

Another student who registered was Emily Barnett, a freshman majoring in psychology.

“I’m healthy, and it’s for a good cause,” she said. “And I feel that if I have the ability to help someone then I should.”

Be the Match will hold an event at the Chipotle in Midtown Village to raise funds for the organization. The event will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday. Half of the sales will be donated to the Be the Match foundation.