UA soccer to adopt fluid new philosophy

UA soccer to adopt fluid new philosophy

“Adaptable. Versatile,” coach Todd Bramble said. “I think you have to be careful in committing too much to playing a certain way because the teams that we play against, they’re filled with good coaches, good athletes, video scouting reports. If you can only play one way to be successful, then we can get shut down.”

The Crimson Tide will need to improve their goal-scoring record if it wants to contend for a spot in the conference tournament. Alabama scored only 1.33 goals per game, well below the opponent ?average of 2.17.

“If we do a good job of creating attacks, creating chances, then, just organically, those numbers will come,” Bramble said. “I think if you put that out as the goal, the team can lose sight of what it takes to get there. Later in the season, maybe as it gets closer to SEC games, we can analyze where we’re at from some of those statistical standpoints compared to last year, and if we need to change some things around, we will, but I think it’s all about the buildup to getting there.”

Rather than relying on forwards and midfielders creating chances, the team’s attacking philosophy will affect everyone on the team, senior forward Laura Lee Smith said.

“The system we play, we’re possession based. It takes all 10 outfield players and the goalkeeper to possess that ball,” she said. “There’s a lot of responsibility on our outside backs to be able to distribute well to our midfielders and outside forwards.”

The Crimson Tide had a losing season in 2013, but Bramble said he and his team are not shying away from competition this year. Along with a rigorous SEC schedule, the team will contest a difficult non-conference schedule that includes Virginia, ranked No. 1.

“In our non-conference part of the schedule, we’ve got a number of really good teams that are going to put us to the test,” Bramble said. “I would always like to play a top-10 caliber program along the way where it’s a no-lose type of game. We know it’s going to prepare us for anything we might see in SEC play.”

The shifting philosophy, the challenging schedule and the renewed focus on defense are aimed towards one team goal: making it back to Orange Beach for the SEC Tournament. The team has fallen short for the last two seasons, but Bramble said he hopes to break that streak.

“It’s just completely unacceptable,” Bramble said. “We, as a staff, accept that. The players accept that … If we can just deal with any adversity that comes our way this season, I expect to have [UA soccer] right back to where the people on campus and in the community expect it to be.”