Mock trial brings fairy tales to the law world

A Fairy Tale Mock Trial on June 14 resulted in a hung jury for the Big Bad Wolf. Hosted by Children of the Village Network, Inc., the Sumter County Children’s Policy Council and Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama, the mock trial at the UA School of Law was presided over by Sumter County District Judge Tammy Jackson Montgomery, Tuscaloosa Municipal Court Judge Madele Hollingsworth and Girl Scout Destiny Paul.

Local law students and attorneys represented and portrayed characters in the fairy tale “Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf,” with testimonies on the effects of bullying, dental hygiene and post-traumatic stress disorder. The majority of Brownies found the Wolf guilty, but Juniors and Cadets were equally split.

Madison Smith, Daizah Lavender and Katelyn Skelton received first, second and third place, respectively, in the costume contest. Each winner received a LexisNexis gift bag with gift cards and school supplies. 

Grace Pike portrayed Little Red Riding Hood, and Jerrell Border portrayed the Big Bad Wolf, with law student Ayla Luers representing the wolf and attorney Paschal Nkengla representing Little Red Riding Hood. Law students Ashley Hamilton, Lacey Triplett and Cortnie Draper were in attendance, as were Garfield Johnson, Grace Albright and Ashley Campbell, who testified. Attorney Ariel Blocker and law students Taronda Randall, Kelly Ann Smith and Brandie Bowden were on the panel of judges for the costume contest.