Student-athletes deserve devotion from students

My time at The Crimson White was shorter than most, as I enrolled at the University as a junior college transfer in the summer of 2012. But in my two years with the newspaper, I got to do things some professional sports journalists only dream of experiencing.

I got to cover one of college football’s most recognized programs in Alabama on a regular basis. It was not uncommon for my day to consist of going to football practice, listening to Nick Saban’s press conference, chatting with Crimson Tide players and then writing my thoughts on it.

What was even better was getting to cover the games. I travelled to College Station, Texas, to watch AJ McCarron and Johnny Manziel duke it out in a 49-42 shootout. I sat in the press box in Bryant-Denny Stadium and watched the Crimson Tide dismantle LSU 38-17. I stood on the sideline in Auburn and could not believe my eyes as Chris Davis brought an unbelievable, abrupt end to the Iron Bowl.

And while all of that was great, graduation approaches, and I realize that I will not have a job like this for quite some time – if ever again. In a way, I was spoiled this year and will have to be brought back down to reality when I start an entry-level job this summer – hopefully.

But in my time covering the Alabama football program, I noticed I was not the only spoiled individual on campus. Every UA student is surrounded by a world-class athletics program.

As in sports reporting, many universities do not have the luxury of having a successful football program to enjoy seven times a season. They would sincerely cherish the opportunity in front of them and stay for the duration of the football games, unlike students at Alabama. They would rather stay at home or beat the crowds to the bars.

“Maybe if you’re not interested in doing that, you should let someone else go who would really like to go,” Saban said this season. “Because I have a lot of people who want to go.”

And it is not just with football. Whether it be gymnastics, softball or the quickly rising women’s tennis team, the student-athletes deserve a strong, consistent showing from their classmates. They dedicate a large portion of their schedule to athletics, on top of being full-time students, to bring success, pride and championships to the University.

Those teams, however, make it easy to sit through their games, meets and matches, but there are some teams on campus that are not as successful that still need more support from the student body.

This past season, the men’s basketball program finished with a losing record, and, because of that, Coleman Coliseum was practically empty on most occasions. Sure, season ticket holders did not even bother showing up a lot of the time, but an enjoyable atmosphere for any collegiate sporting event starts with the student section. If students show up at basketball games and bring energy, other fans will show up to fill up the remainder of the arena.

The right field addition to Sewell-Thomas Stadium is a great example of that. The UA baseball team has benefited tremendously from an increased fan interest this season.

So the next time you buy a $10 ticket for a primetime football game between ranked SEC teams, make it count and stay until Rammer Jammer is over.

Charlie Potter was the sports dditor of The Crimson White.