Sims turns heads in 2nd scrimmage

Alabama ventured inside Bryant-Denny Stadium for the team’s second scrimmage of the spring Saturday, which was the last scrimmage before A-Day. With the Crimson Tide’s annual spring game now less than a week away, the quarterback battle has been thrust into the spotlight.

After its second scrimmage, Alabama coach Nick Saban praised the team’s passing attack for its performance Saturday. He singled out players like senior quarterback Blake Sims and junior wide receiver Amari Cooper.

“We made some plays in the passing game,” Saban said. “Blake made some plays in the passing game. Coop had another big, big day. There was a few more guys, Christion Jones had three catches and a touchdown. A couple of other guys getting three or four catches out there, so we had a lot more passes completed.”

(See also “Sims gains quarterback experience“)

Sims completed 24-of-39 of his passes for 288 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions. In two scrimmages this spring, he has thrown for 515 yards, five touchdowns and zero interceptions on 40-of-62 passing.

“I think Blake has shown a lot of command out there,” Saban said. “Blake made probably three or four plays with his feet scrambling, and then making a play throwing the ball. I know there were several third-down situations [Saturday] where the front guys couldn’t get him on the ground, couldn’t get him tagged, and he ended up scrambling around and made a play about three or four times. He’s doing a better job in the pocket. He’s been very accurate and his consistency has been good, so we’re pleased with Blake.”

The quarterbacks behind Sims – minus Jacob Coker, who will join the team in the summer – still have a long way to go if they want to take over the reins of the offense. But Saban pointed out how redshirt freshman signal caller Cooper Bateman is making strides under center.

(See also “Tide holds 1st spring scrimmage“)

“I think all the other guys, they have their good days and their bad days,” Saban said. I think they all need to work on their consistency. Cooper has probably got the most reps of any of the other guys, and he’s done some good things, but his consistency is what he really needs to work on.”

Alabama returns to the practice field Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.

Other notes from the scrimmage:

– The offensive line looks to be taking shape, as what appeared to be the first group mirrored how the team lined up in practice the week leading up to the scrimmage. Brandon Greene lined up at left tackle, Arie Kouandjio worked at left guard, Ryan Kelly took snaps at center, Leon Brown worked at right guard, and Austin Shepherd lined up at right tackle.

– Rising sophomore corner Maurice Smith missed a couple of days of practice last week and did not participate in Saturday’s practice. Smith has “a little bit of a concussion,” Saban said. “I think he’ll be okay. He probably would have been okay [Saturday], but we’re being a little cautious with some of those things.”

(See also “Tide players excited for first scrimmage of spring“)