Jackson sustains injury to knee

Jackson sustains injury to knee
Austin Bigoney

The Crimson Tide hit the practice field under a gloomy Tuscaloosa sky Monday afternoon for the team’s ninth spring practice. The atmosphere was fitting considering the news that surfaced about one of Alabama’s defensive backs, who was having a successful spring.

Sophomore cornerback Eddie Jackson underwent an MRI on Sunday which confirmed he had ligament damage in his knee that will require surgery, Alabama head coach Nick Saban announced in a release from UA Athletics.

Jackson sustained the injury in the team’s first scrimmage Saturday on a non-contact play where he jumped for the football and “came down funny” on his knee. He will miss the remainder of spring practice.

(See also “Wide receiver Cameron Sims impresses in first scrimmage“)

“We have a great medical staff here, and he will have the full support of everyone in the organization as he goes through the rehab process,” Saban said in the release. “We are confident Eddie will make a full recovery and be ready to go this fall.”

Jackson, who did not attend Monday’s practice, appeared in seven games for the Crimson Tide in the 2013 season and tallied 19 tackles and one interception. He earned four starts at cornerback and earned the praise of his head coach this spring for his strong play on the field.

“Eddie was having a great spring and probably our best corner, most consistent,” Saban said after Saturday’s scrimmage inside Bryant-Denny Stadium.

(See also “Tide holds 1st spring scrimmage“)

Jackson’s teammates said they felt the same as Saban.

“Eddie, he’s a real talented corner,” wide receiver Amari Cooper said. “Hopefully he comes back real soon, but for the spring, other guys have to step up. He was a starter.”

Alabama’s secondary was one of its weakest links a season ago, and the pressure now turns to veteran corners Cyrus Jones and Bradley Sylve, who are the only two corners who have meaningful playing time under their belts. With the team’s “most consistent” corner going down, other players will have to step up in the Crimson Tide’s secondary.

“We still got guys that can come in and play the same way he did,” linebacker Reggie Ragland said. “But it’s still a loss. We’re losing a brother and a teammate.”

Alabama will return to practice Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.

Other notes from Monday’s practice:

– Early enrollee cornerback Tony Brown was a full participant in Monday’s practice, despite his shoulder being heavily wrapped. Saban said Brown recently re-injured his shoulder while competing for Alabama’s track and field team and was limited in practice.

– Linebacker Reuben Foster, who sustained a neck stinger in Saturday’s scrimmage, was working with the inside linebackers behind Trey DePriest and Reggie Ragland.

– DePriest and Ragland appeared to be working with the first-team defense during 7-on-7 drills. The pair of linebackers lined up with cornerbacks Jones and Sylve and safeties Landon Collins and Geno Smith, while Jarrick Williams worked at the Star position.

– Former Alabama star and current Cincinnati Bengals corner Dre Kirkpatrick watched Monday’s practice from the sidelines.

(See also “College football unionization creates complicated issue“)