Alabama wears pads in 3rd practice

The Alabama Crimson Tide donned full pads for the first time this spring as the team headed outdoors in the 65-degree afternoon for its third practice of the season Wednesday.

“Our first day in pads is always a little more challenging, a little more difficult,” head coach Nick Saban said. “It tests everyone’s mettle a little bit. Obviously, it makes it easy to see the guys that can overcome a little adversity and continue to execute, do their job, have the discipline to pay attention to detail.”

The players said they were happy to strap on the pads after two practices in shorts and helmets.

“It’s awesome,” senior tight end Brian Vogler said. “The two days we had, the first two practices in just helmets were just a little overwhelming. I think being in pads just sort of set us back to what it feels like to be in the season and just fly around and have that energy going throughout the practice.”

(See also “Tide takes 2nd practice indoors“)

Junior center Ryan Kelly said it was fun to finally get to hit the defense, instead of going easy on their teammates wearing shirts, shorts and helmets.

“It’s always an exciting one,” Kelly said. “It’s been a while since we’ve all had pads on, so [there was] a little extra weight. It was really important that we came and played physical.”

Saban said the players’s attitude toward practice had a positive outcome in the team’s performance Wednesday afternoon.

“I really like the progress that the players are making,” Saban said. “They’ve got a really good attitude about what they’re trying to do.”

Alabama will practice again Friday at 3:30 p.m. before the team is off for the week of spring break.

(See also “Alabama players impress NFL scouts at Pro Day“)

Other notes from practice:

•Redshirt freshman wide receiver ArDarius Stewart was back with the receivers after two practices of working with the defensive backs. Saban said it was an experimental move, and it looks like the experiment is over.

•Early-enrollee cornerback Tony Brown saw split time with what appeared to be the first-team secondary during defensive back drills. Brown split snaps at the left cornerback position with sophomore Eddie Jackson. Cyrus Jones and Bradley Sylve split time at the other corner spot.

•Junior linebacker Dillon Lee saw practice time at two positions during Wednesday’s media availability of two periods. Lee worked with the outside linebackers, leading the drills for one and a half periods but switched over to inside linebacker drills for half a period.

(See also “Jones reflects on UA, NFL“)