Men’s tennis to face USC in 1st match since 1989

In a rare matchup, the Alabama men’s tennis team will face off against the University of Southern California on Monday at 5 p.m. at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.

The No. 4 Trojans won four consecutive NCAA Championships from 2009 to 2012 and lead the nation in tennis titles, boasting 20 in total.

The two teams have matched up only twice, with USC taking a victory in 1977 and Alabama winning in 1989.

Prior to coaching at Alabama, George Husack spent three seasons as the associate head coach at USC. During his tenure at USC, the Trojans amassed an 85-6 overall record, and Husack was named the 2012 ITA National Assistant Coach of the Year.

“[USC coach] Peter Smith is a great friend of mine, and we’re very honored to have him request to play us,” Husack said.

(See also “Men’s tennis team recalibrates for SEC“)

Alabama will enter the showdown coming off a hard-fought 4-2 loss to Auburn. The Tigers and the Tide met Friday for the second time this season.

The Crimson Tide took the doubles point to open the match. Although Auburn took the first doubles victory on court two, an 8-3 win on court three by Stuart Kenyon and Andrew Goodwin evened the score. Sophomore Becker O’Shaughnessy served for an 8-4 win on court one to take the point.

Husack said although winning the doubles point was a good start to the match, he knew the team would have a challenge ahead for the singles points.

The lead then shifted with a series of back-and-forth singles matches. Auburn tied the match with a win on court three. A 6-3, 6-3 win from Goodwin on court six would give Alabama a 2-1 lead, but three consecutive Auburn wins in three-set matches sealed the match for the Tigers.

(See also “Tennis team reaches program high“)

“I think our challenge this year has been being mentally consistent,” Husack said. “We didn’t execute when we were ahead. We pushed down on the gas pedal and we eased off too many times, and they capitalized on that inability to finish them off.”

Senior captain Daniil Proskura said although it was difficult to lose to the Tigers, there are things to be learned from losses in close matches.

“It’s tough to move forward from it, but there’s nothing else you can do, really,” Proskura said. “The close matches give us confidence because we’re that close to winning, and I feel like when we compete and play well we always have chances, no matter who we play.”

Proskura also said the team will maintain this mentality when facing USC.

“I feel like we are underdogs in this match and have nothing to lose,” Proskura said. “But at the same time, I feel like we have a shot. It doesn’t matter who you play against, it’s what you do on the court.”

(See also “Women’s tennis team travels to face Auburn“)