Tide attracts Hogan’s Watch List

Ben Hogan’s Watch List is an esteemed list that highlights collegiate golfers for their talents on and off the green throughout the country.

For The University of Alabama, Hogan’s Watch List marked four golfers this year to watch for. This is the first time in history that Alabama has four players listed, matching Oklahoma in 2010 and California State in 2013.

Seniors Trey Mullinax, Cory Whitsett and Bobby Wyatt and freshman Robby Shelton were all named in February.

“It feels good being that it’s an honor to be on the Ben Hogan Watch List,” Mullinax said. “It’s something that’s a great honor, and I’m very excited about it. [I’m] really looking forward to the spring season and keeping up the good work. I’m not trying to change what I do, I’m just trying to keep who I am and not let it affect me. We talk about it all the time but we keep being who we are and keep doing the things that got us there. But, yeah, it’s a great honor and I’m really excited to be going forward with it.”

(See also “Arizona transfer returns to golf for Crimson Tide“)

Coach Jay Seawell said the honor was well-deserved for the four players.

“I’m very excited for all those guys,” Seawell said. “They’ve worked extremely hard especially our three seniors. And then Robby [Shelton] has done a great job coming in as a freshman, fitting right in with college golf and our team. I think it’s well deserved. We feel that we’ve got great players and they’re great guys.”

Seawell said he hopes three of the four on the list will make it to the final three and compete in the Colonial Country Club in May. Ten semifinalists will be chosen in April before the number dwindles down to three.

(See also “Women’s golf prepares for Puerto Rico“)

After ending its 11-tournament winning streak in the SMU Querencia Cabo Collegiate last weekend, the Crimson Tide will travel to Las Vegas, Nev., this weekend to compete in the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters.

“It is a major test for all the schools there,” Seawell said. “It’s a NCAA field. It’s the strongest field in the country. The golf course is a championship firm. It will test the best players and the best teams as we compete against each other. I think it gives us a good barometer for where we are at this moment and each other. At the end of the day it will be a learning experience.”

(See also “Men’s golf recruits new coach to team“)