SGA meeting discusses worker rights, slave memorial

Among the key issues discussed at Thursday’s SGA Senate meeting was the need for The University of Alabama to join the Worker’s Rights Consortium, a formal apology to Auburn University for the non-appearance of SGA to present the ODK Sportsmanship trophy, and an encouragement to create a memorial in honor of the slaves who helped build this university.

Out of all the topics discussed, the University’s need to join the Worker’s Rights Consortium dominated most of the conversation. The University of Alabama has grown into one of the largest producers of college apparel, and this increase in production has raised concerns over the ethics in which the apparel is produced.

The bill discussed at the meeting dealt with the University joining the Worker’s Rights Consortium, which would actively monitor all factories that produce Alabama apparel at home and abroad. If any ethical or safety standard is in question or not being met, the WRC would report any wrongdoing to the University immediately.

(See also “Group to host speakers on fair labor“)

Mark Ortiz, a junior majoring in religious studies, was present at the meeting to lobby for the University to join the WRC.

“We need to make sure that the workers in these factories are being treated fairly,” Ortiz said. “Factory collapses have been on the rise recently and we need to protect the workers.”

Ortiz’s concerns are justified, as the largest factory collapse in history occurred last year on April 24, 2013. The collapse of a garment factory in Savar, Bangladesh killed 1,129 people and injured thousands more.

Many students have attempted to contact President Judy Bonner about joining the WRC instead of staying with the Fair Labor Association. University of Alabama organization United Students Against Sweatshops brought attention to the Senate for the passing of this bill to encourage President Bonner to join the organization. The resolution was resolved and passed unanimously on the floor.

Another important order of business for the Senate was the decision to formally apologize to Auburn University for the non-attendance of SGA at the Alabama-Auburn basketball game. The Foy-ODK Sportsmanship trophy is awarded each year to the winner of the Iron Bowl, and it is tradition for the SGA president from the losing school to present the trophy at the home basketball game of the winning school.

SGA President Jimmy Taylor and other members of SGA did not show up at the game because of the weather. After this, a resolution for the formal apology to Auburn University was discussed and then put on the agenda for the Senate. The resolution was tabled.

“The weather wasn’t great, but they could’ve made the trip,” Thomas Yerby, a senator for the Graduate School, said. “It is good showmanship to show that SGA is sorry.”

(See also “UA SGA Student Senate meets to approve funding, new resolutions“)

Many students have also been pushing for the erection of a memorial to honor the slaves who helped build and run the school in the belief that the construction of this memorial would shine a light on the University’s acknowledgement of its past. Supporters said giving credit to the enslaved members would show how far Alabama has come in promoting racial integration.

The University of Alabama Faculty Senate has already apologized for the role slavery played in the creation of the University, showing Alabama’s commitment to advancing from the dark past that played a key role in the establishment of this University. The resolution to encourage having a memorial built in the honor of the slaves at The University of Alabama was passed unanimously on the floor.

“I would like to think we are very informed,” A.J. James, a senator in Arts and Sciences, said. “Many of the resolutions we pass have a lot of background that go into it.”

(See also “Exhibit captures history of slavery at University“)