Rec Center offers indoor exercise opportunities

By Ethan Summers

Contributing Writer

Want to stay fit but still beat the heat this summer? The University’s Student Recreation Center has a class for that.

Zumba, a group exercise dance program, is offered four days a week by the Rec.

Beto Perez brought the program from his native Columbia to the United States in 1999 according to its website, zumba.com.

The program mixes music, dancing and exercise into a 50-minute class, said Leigh Darilek, the group exercise manager at the Rec.

Darilek brought the program to the University in summer 2009. She said she had been actively participating in Zumba for four years, and that it is a great way to exercise.

“It’s different from traditional aerobics or normal group fitness classes because normal classes tend to use almost the same routine the whole class,” Darilek said. “It’s almost like interval training.”

Zumba primarily uses Latin and international music, but the instructor can use any music he chooses, according to Darilek.

“We use any kind of world music: hip hop, jazz, jive,” Darilek said. “You really run the gamut with music.”

Since the University’s version of the program began in 2009, Darilek said the 45-person classes have always been full.

“Come fall [2009], we had lines upon lines waiting to get into the class. It almost got scary,” Darilek said. “No, it’s good because we’ve had such a strong positive response to this class.”

Anneliese Bolland, a graduate student in education research, said she heard of the program through friends.

“It’s a good workout; it’s fun,” Bolland said. “I think it’s one of those classes where you don’t even need a friend to have fun.”

Bolland, who has participated in the program at the University all year, said that Zumba was unique among group exercise programs she has participated in.

“You can add your own flair to it,” Bolland said. “You can learn the basic steps and have fun with it.”

Zumba group exercise classes are offered in Studio A in the Rec Mondays and Wednesdays beginning at 6:30 p.m., Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. and Fridays at 5:30 p.m.

The classes last 50 minutes and are free to students with a pass that can be obtained from the Rec’s front desk.

In addition to Ref staff-led group exercise classes, students can work with the group exercise program to create their own course offerings.

Stephanie Lund, a senior majoring in accounting, created a karate group exercise class through the Rec’s group exercise program in September 2009.

“I decided to get a class started because I was having a hard time getting involved in the martial arts community here in Tuscaloosa,” Lund said.

Lund, who has spent ten years practicing karate and four years teaching karate, is a certified instructor through United Professionals.

United Professionals is a national association for top martial arts businesses and institutions, Lund said. Its goal is to encourage learning and instructing within the martial arts community.

Lund based the class’s curriculum on her own experience with Alexander’s Martial Arts in Huntsville and the Shin Nagare karate style.

Lund said that while she is experienced, the class is for anyone.

“It is beginner level, so if you’ve never done any kind of martial arts or kickboxing, then the start of each class is me teaching you what we will be doing for the remainder of the class.”

Richard Brackner, a junior majoring in biology, joined the class in fall 2009. Before the class, he had only a minor background in karate, he said.

“I was involved when I was real little,” Brackner said. “I picked it up cold [last fall].”

Brackner said he enjoys the class because of the workout.

“It’s a great workout. It’s perfect for beginners,” Brackner said. “It’s not too complicated, and it’s easy to pick up. [Lund is] real clear about what she wants and is real helpful on an individual basis.”

The class, which lasts 50 minutes, is offered on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. and on Thursdays at 4 p.m.

“Right now, we’re seeing how the summer works out with numbers and stuff,” Lund said. “Hopefully it’ll be ongoing.”