Announcements for 6/17/2010

WVUA features sports talk show

Be sure to tune in to 90.7 every Sunday 12-2pm for the Buzzer Beater with Jordan Eichenblatt and Sam Bone. The show features guests such as USA soccer coach Bob Bradley, NBA star Mo Williams, ESPN Analysts and Alabama Crimson Tide sports writers, Coaches and alumni.

Honors student wins study abroad scholarship

Honors College student Jackie Pitts was recently awarded an NSEP/Boren Scholarship to study Arabic in Jordan for the 2010-2011 academic year. Pitts decided to study Arabic because of her fascination with North Africa and Southwest Asia.

“It’s such a diverse region with a beautiful language and so many cultures,” Pitts says. “Arabic is considered a critical language, fewer people speak it, and knowing it will help me get a job once I graduate.”

UA receives grant to fund Bridge to the Doctorate program

The University has received a nearly $1 million grant from the National Science Foundation to support a fellowship program for underrepresented minority graduate students studying in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

The Bridge to the Doctorate program is administered by the Alabama Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation. Applications are currently being accepted for this fall for 12 fellowships.

The program offers a $30,000 annual stipend for two years and covers full tuition and fees. It also offers a mentoring program, conference and research travel opportunities, seminars and workshops and additional research and networking opportunities.