Frozen Tide claims Iron Cup for fourth year in a row

After the Alabama football team’s devastating loss to Auburn in the Iron Bowl this season, members of the Frozen Tide hockey team knew they needed to bring home the Iron Cup.

“This Iron Cup meant a little more just because of the Iron Bowl. We all know how devastating that was,” senior defenseman Ryan Vinson said. “We felt like it was our responsibility to win it for the University.”

The Frozen Tide dominated Auburn 9-1, 3-0 and 13-1, in this weekend’s one-sided Iron Cup. Determined to bring the cup back to Tuscaloosa, the Tide started each game strong and never let up on its opponents. In Friday’s game, Alabama scored within the first two minutes of the game.

“We scored early and often, and that took all of the morale out of their team,” sophomore defenseman Andre Morard said. “Then, all we had to do after that was to maintain our big lead.”

The Iron Cup, which took place in Pelham, Ala., began in 2010, and the Frozen Tide has won the cup each year. This year’s game attracted more than 3,000 people.

The rivalry between the two hockey teams is just as big as the football rivalry and attracts fans from both sides.

“We hate them. They hate us,” Vinson said.

Sophomore Bryan Puffer won MVP in this year’s Iron Cup.

The No. 2 Frozen Tide still has its eyes set on nationals, and if the team can knock off No. 6 Ole Miss, Georgia and No. 1 Central Florida, those chances look bright.

“The outlook for the rest of the year would be winning the SEC championship and the national championship in Miami,” Morard said. “We hold our own destiny for both of those championships.”

The team is 1-1 against Ole Miss this season.

“I think Ole Miss will give us a better game than what Auburn gave us,” Morard said.

The Frozen Tide will face Ole Miss Friday at 8 p.m. and Georgia Saturday at 7 p.m. Both games will be held at the Pelham Civic Complex.