Doug Nussmeier more comfortable in second year as Alabama offensive coordinator

NEW ORLEANS—Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier was all smiles when he stepped up to the podium for a Sunday morning press conference ahead of the Sugar Bowl. Part of it was because of the game against the No. 11 Oklahoma Sooners. But Nussmeier was glad to be back in New Orleans.

“New Orleans is a special city for our family,” Nussmeier said. “I met my wife here, was fortunate enough to play with the Saints for four years. It was an outstanding time, and it left lasting memories. We try to come back as much as possible. We still have relatives and lots of friends in the area. It’s really a place that’s special to us.”

In his second year at the helm of Alabama’s offense, Nussmeier has transformed the Crimson Tide into one of the top offensive teams in the country, with a heavy focus on executing a balanced attack.

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops praised Alabama’s offense and said the system Nussmeier runs is “foolproof.”

“It’s old school. It’s NFL-style football,” Stoops said. “And they come at you in a variety of different sets, shifts, motions. They window dress things very well. It’s very well organized. It’s very well orchestrated.”

Nussmeier’s name was recently mentioned in the coaching search at the University of Washington, before the position was filled by former Boise State coach Chris Peterson.

Nussmeier spent three season with the Huskies before joining Nick Saban’s staff in 2012.

“Obviously, I feel very, very fortunate to be a part of this program and to be the offensive coordinator at The University of Alabama,” he said. “I would like to be a head coach some day in the right situation. Having the ties that I have to the University of Washington, understanding what that program is about, that was an opportunity for our family. And Coach Saban fully supported it. It was a great experience.”

Senior quarterback AJ McCarron, like Saban, stood behind his offensive coordinator, saying he could see Nussmeier patrolling the sidelines.

“I’m excited for him,” McCarron said. “I can’t wait for him to have his option. I was rooting for him with the Washington job, but he didn’t get it. But I think he’ll be an unbelievable head coach.”

Other players chimed in with their thoughts of Nussmeier and his ability to take over a program of his own.

Sophomore wide receiver Amari Cooper said its Nussmeier’s willingness to build relationships with his players that makes him a good coach.

“I think he’s a great leader,” Cooper said. “I think he cares about the players, and that’s one thing you can see as a player: He cares about you. He just doesn’t go out there and call plays.”

Junior left tackle Cyrus Kouandjio shared the same sentiment.

“Everybody loves him. He does his job, and he’s a great coach. You don’t see a lot of coaches like Coach Nussmeier,” Kouandjio said. “That’s why Coach Saban hired him. And he’s living up to it.”

At the moment, Nussmeier is not connected with any other coaching vacancy around the country.

He said his focus is on the upcoming game against Oklahoma and finding way to improve the offense for the 2014 season.

“You always want to be successful, and in athletics, you’re judged on what you do today, not what you did yesterday,” Nussmeier said. “This is a great opportunity for us to play against a great football team, and we’re very excited about it.”