Announcements for 6/10/2010

WVUA features sports talk show

Be sure to tune in to 90.7 every Sunday 12-2pm for the Buzzer Beater with Jordan Eichenblatt and Sam Bone. The show features guests such as USA soccer coach Bob Bradley, NBA star Mo Williams, ESPN Analysts and Alabama Crimson Tide sports writers, Coaches and alumni.

UA receives grant for carbon storage research

The University has been awarded a U.S. Department of Energy grant totaling more than $4.85 million for a multidisciplinary project that will characterize geologic formations for carbon dioxide storage in Alabama. The overall project goal is to increase knowledge about the potential for these formations to safely and permanently store carbon dioxide.

UA professor receives Powe Award

Dr. Yuping Bao, assistant professor of chemical and biological engineering, has been named a recipient of the Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award from the Oak Ridge Associated Universities. Bao is one of 32 recipients of the award, selected from some 114 applicants. Bao will use the grant funds to support her research project with the ultimate goal of developing efficient heterogeneous catalysts for fuel cell applications.

UA Senior goes to China on Fulbright Scholarship

Jessica Hetherington, a senior majoring in economics, will visit China for the fifth time, working on research after winning a Fulbright Scholarship. Hetherington said she dreamed of winning a Fulbright since she arrived for a tour of the University’s campus in 2006. She also said she plans to research the personal economic profiles of urban migrant workers with the rural peasants who remain in rural areas and analyze the impact the workers have on the economy.