Notes: Bell scores after personal day last week

COLLEGE STATION, Texas—Kenny Bell couldn’t have scripted it any better.

A little less than two weeks after he tweeted that he was leaving the team, then returned after taking a personal day off from practice, Bell took a screen pass 51 yards for a touchdown that gave Alabama a lead it wouldn’t relinquish for the rest of the game.

“Coach [Nick Saban] gave me the day off,” Bell said of last Tuesday. “I had some personal business when it comes down to my kid. And I’m very truly thankful for that day.”

Bell sent a series of tweets Tuesday afternoon that made it appear like he was quitting the team. When Saban addressed the media later Tuesday night, he said Bell had only taken a personal day, and would return to practice Wednesday.

CBSSports.com reported that Bell was upset with his playing time.

“I feel like I’m good to go,” Bell said. “I got my family straight. I feel like I’m ready to take my game to the next level.”

He made the most of his playing time Saturday. Bell only had one reception on the day but it was a big one.

After Texas A&M jumped out to a 14-0 lead Alabama answered with 35 straight points. Bell’s touchdown gave Alabama its first lead of the game that would hold up the rest of the way.

“I got to give a whole bunch of credit to Christion Jones. He gave me a good block and I just used my speed to get past the safety,” Bell said. “When I saw all that green, I just couldn’t be happier to get into the end zone.”

Saban not happy with Yeldon’s celebration

After T.J. Yeldon’s 4-yard touchdown run that put Alabama up 28-0, the sophomore running back was caught on camera doing the “money” sign in celebration followed by a throat slash.

Manziel had made the money celebration famous in week one after he returned from a half-game suspension for allegedly selling autographs.

Yeldon was penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

“That’s not us, that’s not our program, that’s not what we do.” Saban said after the game. “We’ve never ever tolerated it. I don’t think there is any place for it in college football.”

Clinton-Dix nearly ejected

In the second quarter, safety HaHa Clinton-Dix delivered a hit on Texas A&M wide receiver Derel Walker and jarred the ball from his hands. But Clinton-Dix was penalized for targeting and initially was ejected from the game under the SEC’s new targeting rule.

The play was reviewed, and the ejection was reversed, but a 15-yard penalty was still called.

“I thought [Clinton-Dix] was playing the ball. He put his hands out,” Saban said. “The guy was unprotected. If he hit him in the head, it’s a penalty. If he was playing the ball it wasn’t targeting. So he shouldn’t have gotten ejected. So I think it was handled the right way.”

Belue sits out second half

Cornerback Deion Belue watched the second half in street clothes and a walking boot after being injured in the first half.

Saban said Belue sustained a turf toe injury, but didn’t have any further update.