[OUR VIEW] Anonymous, but not alone

Occasionally, The Crimson White Editorial Board makes the difficult decision to rely on anonymous sources.

In today’s Crimson White, there is an in-depth story regarding the segregation that still exists in sorority organizations. In order to protect the privacy and safety of our sources, we have decided to grant them anonymity.

The Crimson White has developed a system by which we can prove the authenticity and reliability of sources and their information. Because we are asking a great deal of trust from our readers, it is our duty to explain that system to you.

Before we publish a story like the one in today’s paper, The Crimson White Editorial Board must meet two requirements: “factors” and “elements.” Factors are conditions that are relatively easy to come by in reporting but must all be proven together before the information can be reported as true. Elements are much more difficult to obtain, but once one is proven, the information is authenticated.

The factors and elements used to authenticate today’s source are listed below. We have verified at least one element or all factors together.

The events leading up to this story, both sorority recruitment and the recent voter fraud allegations, have suffered from a culture of silence on campus. A small group of students and alumni continue to work to keep our greek system segregated, while those who would push forward are intimidated into silence.

And we understand. Potential whistleblowers here on campus are fearful that if they speak out, they may be subjected to mental or even physical harm. Those who choose to speak up about the unethical and even illegal actions of their organization fear the threat of dismissal from the organization with which they have identified for most of their college experience.

Despite feeling a moral imperative to speak out, many individuals choose not to out of fear of the consequences that would come from having their names attached to such a volatile issue.

That is why you will find anonymous sources in today’s Crimson White. It is the last remaining avenue through which our sources can contest the leadership within their sororities and the regressive nature that still exists in our greek system.

It isn’t often we take such serious precautions when running a story. We owe you – our readers – a higher standard of reporting consistently, and this situation demands the use of anonymous sources in order to provide it. As a student body, this system of segregation cannot be allowed to remain in the dark. We cannot allow greek alumnae to refuse a bid to any otherwise flawless potential new members simply because of the color of their skin.

We believe the student body, as well as those affected by the greek system’s segregation, deserve to know the racial components inherent within it. Because of this belief, The Crimson White Editorial Board has decided to shine light on the controversy surrounding the black rushees during this year’s recruitment season. Action must be taken.

Our View is the consensus of The Crimson White Editorial Board.

FACTORS:

— The source is an active member of her sorority and still wishes to remain so.

— The source must be fearing for her well-being or punishment from their chapter and alumnae.

— The source must represent the interests of other members of her sorority.

— Another member must confirm the source’s report.

ELEMENTS:

— Chapter president confirms the report.

— Alumnae confessed directly to the source or to The Crimson White.

— Sororities’ national organizations acknowledge recruitment process was tampered with.