Offense struggles against Virginia Tech

The Crimson Tide offense had little to do with the victory over Virginia Tech, 35-10, in Saturday’s Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game.

Virginia Tech’s defense swarmed the line of scrimmage all night, clogging up running lanes and putting constant pressure on AJ McCarron. As a result, Alabama compiled 206 yards of total offense, with only 96 yards coming from the running game.

“We need to improve on the offensive line,” head coach Nick Saban said. “But I don’t even think the guys that had a lot of experience playing played as well as they need to play on the offensive line. I don’t think we’re talking about the inexperienced guys not playing well. I think we’re talking about the entire group realizing they need to play a little bit better, play a little bit better together, be a little more physical.”

McCarron was sacked four times and threw one interception and one touchdown. He finished the night 10-of-23 for 110 yards. Sophomore running back T.J. Yeldon carried the ball 17 times for 75 yards and one touchdown.

But that was not the dominant rushing attack Alabama fans have become accustomed to watching.

Senior right guard Anthony Steen said the mood in the locker room after the game showed just how displeased the team was with its overall performance, especially on offense.

“I was looking at the guys earlier. We all kind of seemed down a little bit,” Steen said. “We weren’t quite as smiling, cheerful in the locker room. And that’s just because we expected more of ourselves.”

Alabama will try to adjust its struggles before the team travels to College Station, Texas, to face Texas A&M.

“We have to create an identity as a team,” Saban said. “I don’t think that we did that maybe in all phases of the game [Saturday]. But at least we know where we are. We know what we need to do to improve.”

The Crimson Tide has a bye week and two weeks to prepare for Johnny Manziel and the Aggies.

New faces contribute in season opener

Several freshmen saw the field of the Georgia Dome in Alabama’s season opener, and many of them showed the ability to contribute right away.

Running back Altee Tenpenny saw the second highest amount of touches – behind Yeldon – with six carries, which translated to 24 yards on the ground. Fellow freshman Derrick Henry was also spotted in the backfield behind McCarron and made several appearances on special teams.

Tight end O.J. Howard was used as an extra blocker in run plays and looks to be used more in the passing game.

Defensive linemen Jonathan Allen and A’Shawn Robinson rotated into the game, giving Alabama some much-needed depth on the defensive front.