University gun policy revised Aug. 16

The effects of a national movement surrounding gun control have trickled down to The University of Alabama’s bylaws in the form of a revised gun policy reinforcing a campus-wide ban on guns.

The University’s gun policy was revised Aug. 16 after a new state law, which went into effect Aug. 1, and left many confused about whether guns could potentially be allowed on campus, in dorms or at athletic events.

“UA has thoroughly reviewed the impact of the state’s new gun law on our policies and procedures regarding the possession of guns and dangerous weapons on our campus,” Cathy Andreen, director of UA Media Relations, said in an emailed statement. “UA believes that its policies and procedures comply with the state law. As a result, UA will not allow the possession of guns or dangerous weapons on our campus, except under the limited circumstances set out in its policy.”

The policy maintains a strict ban on guns for all but pre-approved personnel and in all places except for vehicles, under select circumstances.

Cody Frederick, a junior majoring in history, said the current policy of storing firearms with UAPD is “perfectly acceptable” in his opinion.

“With that system, it’s always possible to retrieve them conveniently when they’re desired, but there is minimal risk of someone untrained in firearms safety or maintenance getting access to them if, for instance, a door is left unlocked or a break-in occurs,” he said.

However, Levi Crawford, a senior majoring in history, said he would change the policy to match state laws, allowing students who are of age and have permits to store and carry firearms on campus.

“Why should normal laws that apply to the rest of the state stop at the edge of campus?” he said. “Every place except our educational institutions is protected with guns.”

At the University of Georgia, state law is school law.

“We don’t really have a separate policy,” Jimmy Williamson, chief of police at the University of Georgia, said. “Our state law was pretty restrictive.”

The state law, and therefore school policy, currently bans all weapons on school property, with the exception of handguns in vehicles. Williamson said he foresees future discussion on the topic.

“It’s just a hot topic right now,” he said.

Schools face an interesting set of circumstances in that residence halls are not truly like neighborhoods, and the situations that could influence gun control policy are diverse, Williamson said.

Potential factors could range from substance abuse and sporting events to the presence of visiting dignitaries with security details, he said.

“I think they’re looking at overall public safety,” Williamson said. “That’s multi-faceted.”

He also pointed to other historically controversial issues that have already had their public trial – alcohol during the Prohibition, for instance.

“Those [other] issues have already been debated,” he said. “Things have a way of evolving. Guns just seem to be the current issue at this time.”