Three positions should concern Crimson Tide fans for 2013 football season

The University of Alabama has been a factory for producing NFL talent since head coach Nick Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa, and after the Crimson Tide claimed its 15th national championship in January, that tradition continued in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Nine Alabama players were selected in the draft, along with several other players who signed free-agent contracts. Their absences will be felt in the locker room, but especially on the field in the upcoming season for Alabama. The Crimson Tide must rebuild and reload like it has in the past.

Several positions are up for grabs, and it will be up to the remaining – and incoming – players to fill them. However, replacing three-time champions and leaders is no small task.

Here are the three positions that should concern Alabama fans heading into the 2013 season:

Offensive line

Three starters from last season are now on NFL rosters, leaving three gigantic holes along the offensive front. Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker and Barrett Jones were critical to Alabama’s success running the football in 2012, but they’re no longer on campus.

Left tackle Cyrus Kouandjio and right guard Anthony Steen are back, but that still leaves three positions to unproven players. It will be up to Ryan Kelly, Arie Kouandjio and Austin Shepherd to protect the Crimson Tide’s balanced offensive attack led by quarterback AJ McCarron.

Pass rush

Last season, Alabama struggled to get consistent pressure on the quarterback, which eventually led to the team’s only defeat at the hands of Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M. Saban and his coaching staff addressed the Tide’s pass rush by recruiting players like Jonathan Allen and Dee Liner to apply more pressure in the backfield.

The key edge rushers are also back, with Adrian Hubbard and Xzavier Dickson returning for the 2013 season. But the interior linemen will be new to the starting lineup; Jesse Williams, Damion Square and Quinton Dial are gone, and it will be up to the likes of Jeoffrey Pagan, Ed Stinson and Brandon Ivory to replace them.

Alabama lost a lot, but it is gaining a lot, too.

Secondary

Aside from the offensive line, the secondary is the biggest question mark heading into next season for the Crimson Tide. At times last season, the secondary was the team’s weakest link, and now Alabama’s No. 1 corner back, Dee Milliner, and leader of the secondary, Robert Lester, are no longer on the team.

Lester’s absence is not as bad with HaHa Clinton-Dix returning to head the secondary, and players like Vinnie Sunseri, Landon Collins and Nick Perry will provide depth at the safety position.

But replacing Milliner will be no easy task. Senior Deion Belue will likely become the team’s No. 1 corner, but his inconsistent play last year has not made the job his to lose. Sophomore Geno Smith played well in his true-freshman season and could overtake Belue for the top spot, but only time will tell.

The secondary has work to do and little room for mistakes. But offensive players moving to the defensive side of the ball and incoming freshmen will increase competition and hopefully bolster the secondary’s ability to shutdown opposing team’s passing game.