UA student Allysa Huffstutler’s body found after three day search

The body of missing University of Alabama student Allysa Huffstutler was found after days of exhaustive search efforts along the Locust Fork of the Black Warrior River on Friday, June 21.

According to the Blount County Authorities, her body was found Friday morning after being spotted in the water by a state trooper helicopter.

Huffstutler, 19, had been missing since Wednesday afternoon when her raft overturned in rough waters while floating on the river with friends.

Over the last two days, rescue personnel were faced with rough currents and muddy waters that made underwater visibility nearly impossible. As the search progressed, rescue efforts were suspended on Thursday afternoon when the dive teams ran out of oxygen after an all-day search.

Along with massive search efforts, prayer vigils were held last night at area high schools to bring the community together in the wake of Huffstutler’s disappearance.

According to Blount County EMA, more details will be made public as the investigation continues.

Mark Nelson, vice president for student affairs, issued a statement from the University.

“The University of Alabama family extends its thoughts and prayers to Allysa’s family and friends during this sad and difficult time,” he said. “She was a valued member of the campus community, and we will miss her.”

The Alpha Omicron Pi national headquarters, Huffstutler’s sorority, said on its Facebook page that a ceremony honoring their member would be announced soon.

“It is clear from the outpouring of support that Allysa touched many lives and will be truly missed,” the status update said.