Annual Boys State program meets at UA

After a week of leadership events and guest speakers, the 2013 class of Alabama Boys State culminated in a cooperative community service effort to refurbish Tuscaloosa’s Palmore Park June 13.

With a hand-picked group of 570 boys from around the state, the weeklong event sponsored by the American Legion has promoted leadership education in Alabama since they elected their first student governor in 1938. The program, hosted on The University of Alabama campus, offers rising high school seniors the opportunity to hear guest speakers, learn valuable leadership skills and connect with other student leaders from around the state through community service.

Becky Booker, public relations and marketing manager for PARA, said this community service project will have far-reaching benefits beyond the cosmetics of the parks.

“It was the mayor’s idea to include Boys State at Palmore Park because he was in the program when he was a boy,” she said. “It’s the city of Tuscaloosa, PARA and Boys State who are working on the project, and taking care of parks is a good way to get involved and see real improvement for these young people.”

Along with gaining a deeper understanding of community involvement, the community service end also aims to teach the participants about the importance of municipal cohesion.

“This is their community service project, and it is also of a lesson in learning how the community works together,” she said. “They can see how these different entities work together, and wherever you live, it is important for folks to give back to their community — we think they will learn that even if they have a great job in the future, it is the volunteer work that will make the greatest difference in your community.”

At Palmore Park, Boys State participants could be seen shoveling mulch to rake around trees and repainting the yellow curbs in the entrance of the park among other things.

According to the afternoon’s itinerary from Boys State, the goal of the event was to work toward converting a nonfunctioning pool at the park into a splash park, which would include a fountain area for the community to enjoy.

Caleb Gray, a high school senior and Boys State participant from Troy, Ala., said he plans to attend Auburn University in the fall. He said along with the community service, he enjoyed different fun activities like a electing a mock government.

“It’s been really cool to meet a lot of different people and see so many views that are different from mine,” he said. “Just realizing that there are so many other leaders my age around the state is great — the best part is [it’s] so cool to run for the offices here.”

Gray also said besides the fun had by the participants, the true focus should remain on building leadership.

“I think in the world, there are certain people who have to step up and be leaders,” he said. “This is a great opportunity to build leadership qualities and learn from others.”

Judge Pete Johnson, director of Alabama Boys State, said he is a stern believer in the effectiveness of this leadership program and what it offers participants.

“Our aim is to foster leadership and knowledge of local and state governments and community service,” he said. “The students at Boys State come from every community in Alabama, and they get to hear from great speakers who also come from all walks of life, including Coach Nick Saban and Gov. Robert Bentley.”

Johnson also encourages hard-working high school students around the state to apply for the program and see what they have to offer.

“Students that are interested should contact their principal and guidance counselor at their high school,” he said. “They can also go to Alabama Boys State website.”