UA theatre students take show to Gulf Shores

The University of Alabama’s SummerTide Theatre program is returning to Gulf Shores, Ala., for its 10th anniversary season.

Since summer 2004, UA’s College of Arts and Sciences department of theatre and dance has brought a variety of professional shows to Gulf Shores, Ala., featuring UA theatre students.

This year’s production, “Jubilee: Songs of and about Alabama,” is an original music revue conceived by director Edmond Williams, musical director Raphael Crystal and choreographer Stacy Alley. The festival showcases songs from Alabama’s musical history, like “Sweet Home Alabama” and “Stars Fell on Alabama,” as well as a few originals.

“We’ve been given permission to use some of the best-known Alabama songs and also have selected some that may have been forgotten,” said Crystal. “Some of the songs will be heard for the first time, some for the first time in this century.”

The show’s concept of “Jubilee” comes from an experienced team of Alabama faculty members. Crystal is the founder and director of the musical theatre program at the Capstone. She also teaches musical theater courses and is a professional composer, musical director and pianist.

Williams is a UA theatre professor and a founding chairman of the UA department of theatre and dance.

“I think over the last 10 years we’ve gotten a sort of audience base that’s always there, who always come,” Williams said. “I think there are people who would enjoy SummerTide even if they did not know the show.”

The 2013 SummerTide production features a talented cast of UA student performers. The castmates include Rachel Baber, Kiley Gipson, Jessica Berzack, Michael Luwoye, Sarah Kathryn Bonds, Drey Mitchell, Will Erwin, Will Travis and Karina Simonis.

“Jubilee” will continue to run through June 28, with performances every Tuesday – Thursday at 8 p.m. at the George C. Meyer Performing Arts Center.