Sometimes, it’s okay to do an interview sans pants

The last few weeks of my senior year of undergrad were supposed to be crammed with projects and bar crawls. Instead, my senior year came to an abrupt end on April 27, 2011. Many friends dispersed and went home or off to their fancy adult jobs; while some stayed behind to finish classes or help get the city back on its feet. For me, it was not the fairytale ending to my senior year, hence why I am back for round two: Grad School.

After a series of emails, I finally got an interview with the new editor-in-chief. When I interviewed for my position with The Crimson White, I sat at my parent’s house with my “interview blazer” on ready to Skype, sans pants. If the camera on your computer shoots you from the torso up, why bother with the hassle of pants? I’m an avid supporter of yoga pants/leggings/Norts, so pants aren’t really my “thing.”

I never thought I would be writing a farewell column for The Crimson White, and as I sit down to write it, I’m trying to fight back tears that rival those of the time I saw the season 3 finale of “The O.C.,” so bear with me. I’ve only worked with the CW for a year and it feels like I’ve been with them on my entire journey.

I have seen the rise of our football dynasty and the fall of pledgeship. I have watched the students and Tuscaloosa community rise to the occasion to rebuild this place we call home after devastation. Throughout it all, the CW continued to report on the important issues in our community.

Come August, I’ll have the privilege of having two degrees from The University of Alabama with the uncertainty of entering the real world or pursuing another degree. The beauty of this situation is that I don’t know, but I can tell you it’ll be incredible. Watch out America, it’s about to Get Lowder.

Many of the seniors have mentioned how they can’t wait to walk across the stage in just over a week and receive their diploma. Hold up, homies – be sure to put on your J-Bo dancing shoes, because you’ll be celebrating one hell of an achievement.

I was never tapped on the mound. I didn’t even belong to a greek organization. That hasn’t stopped me from covering an event at the White House as a member of the press, or getting into a top-ranked graduate program. Don’t let the comparisons of yourself against your classmates get you down. Now is the time to make a name for yourself. Why wait? The only limitations you have are the ones you set for yourself.

Let’s be real, it wouldn’t be college if you didn’t wake up at least one morning or after turning in a test channeling your inner Gob Bluth a la “I’ve made a huge mistake.” Trust me, it’s okay to make mistakes. Whether it was cat-daddying at Innisfree a little too hard after a win at Bryant-Denny Stadium, mixing up due dates on an assignment, or ordering that extra margarita at El Rincon – it happens to the best of us.

Thank you, Will, for hiring me on staff, even though I tweeted one (or seven) too many exclamation points.

My office family: Thank you Ashley for being my identical twin, and discussing the perks of the newsroom. And Mackenzie, for putting up with my shenanigans on a daily basis.

To Melissa, Stephen, Anna: Thank you for being a part of #CWTwerkTeam, watching “Top Gun” with me at 4 a.m. and discussing the secrets of Cinnabar Island.

To the rest of the CW staff, thank you for welcoming this quirky grad student in a onesie wearing a fur fox skin into your newsroom. You have all given me more confidence than I ever imagined possible. Oh and Gallettes, thank you for fueling my Don Draper-esque approach to creativity. So maybe this is my farewell column, or maybe it’s my “till next time” column. The only thing I do know for certain is that Tuscaloosa will always be my home. RTR, RMFT, RTOTA, etc.

Elizabeth Lowder was the assistant community manager of The Crimson White during the 2012-2013 year.