Spanish House to host Salsa Night Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

The Spanish House is inviting The University of Alabama to put on their dancing shoes at Salsa Night Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.

The event will feature a short lesson on dances such as the salsa and merengue, followed by a chance for students to show off their newly learned skills to music. Along with salsa music and dancing, chips, salsa and other snacks will also be provided.

Jessica Jacob, director of the Spanish House, said she hopes Salsa Night will be an opportunity for students to have fun and experience the Spanish House environment.

“We want students to see what it’s like to have a space dedicated to the language department and to see how we incorporate the Spanish language into it,” Jacob said.

Jessica Hubickey, a graduate student studying Spanish, will be one of the dance instructors for the event. She has experience with salsa and merengue dancing, as well as other Caribbean dances like bachata and cumbia. She said she has been exposed to these dances and music since she was a child through visits to her family in Cali, Colombia, which is known as the salsa capital of the world.

“Hopefully students will be able to see how much fun it can be to be able to live in a place where fun events such as this occur on a regular basis,” Hubickey said.

Hubickey said this will be a great way for students to meet other students with common interests, while being exposed to Latin American culture through dance.

“It will allow the students to gather, learn and have fun in a wonderful facility which houses students who are interested in surrounding themselves with the Spanish language and culture in everyday activities,” Hubickey said.

The Spanish House is also hosting an information session that will give interested students an opportunity to direct questions they may have about the program and facility to the faculty advisor, director of the house and a current resident. The session will be Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in B.B. Comer 203.