Student organization host prom for Oak Hill School

The University of Alabama Student Council for Exceptional Children is hosting Oak Hill School’s first prom Thursday, April 18 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oak Hill School is a secondary school in Tuscaloosa City Schools for students with disabilities.

The SCEC already held a dress drive in order to provide dresses and makeup for all of the girls in the school. Volunteers are still needed to come and dance with the participants, help setup, decorate for the event and clean up afterward.

The SCEC is a chapter of a national organization of the same name that is dedicated to improving the lives of children and adults with exceptionalities.

Blake Huynh, a junior majoring in collaborative special education and president of the UA chapter of the SCEC, said the SCEC exists to advocate for those with exceptionalities.

“Our organization is all about being exceptional advocates for those with exceptionalities,” Huynh said. “SCEC’s goal is to enhance the lives of persons with exceptionalities in Tuscaloosa and Alabama. The SCEC achieves this goal by volunteering at Special Populations events, Oak Hill School, Tuscaloosa PARA therapeutic department and CrossingPoints.”

Callie Miller, a junior majoring in special education and vice president of the SCEC, said a person is defined by their character, not by their abilities or disabilities.

“As an organization, we serve people with exceptionalities,” Miller said. “Exceptional is defined as forming an exception or rare instance, unusual or extraordinary. Therefore, individuals with exceptionalities are far beyond average. They exemplify characteristics that are not common or ordinary. These very special individuals bring a zest to life that one cannot explain. A person is not defined by ability or disability, or strengths or weaknesses, they are defined by their character. Those with exceptionalities have character that is that rare instance, unusual, or extraordinary. They are a blessing.”

The SCEC is hosting a fundraiser at Sweet CeCe’s April 17 from 5 to 9 p.m. By mentioning the SCEC at the time of purchase, 20 percent of sales will go directly to the SCEC.

“The SCEC is very fortunate to be able to participate in so many special events, such as Oak Hill’s first prom,” Miller said. “However, being a new organization, our funds are limited. We are deeply honored to have the opportunities that we have to fundraise, and we would love to see y’all at Sweet CeCe’s.”

Students interested in volunteering at Oak Hill’s prom should contact Miller at [email protected] or Huynh at [email protected].