Students host Hunger Talks to fund Secret Meals

A group of Alabama students is working to solve the rising problem of child hunger in the state through an event called Hunger Talks next Monday, April 15, at the Baptist Campus Ministries building.

Hunger Talks is a program in collaboration with Tide Talks, an organization that presents a series of diverse ideas and personal stories from Alabama students.

All proceeds from ticket sales go to Secret Meals for Hungry Children, a statewide organization that provides weekend meals for children.

Secret Meals for Hungry Children allows teachers to identify any student they may think is experiencing hunger. Secret Meals provides six meals for the teacher to slip into the child’s backpack so he or she has enough to eat over the weekend.

“It’s not something they can sign up for. Teachers see that these kids are hungry, and they really need help,” Kristin Nelson, a group member for Hunger Talks, said.

Nelson, a senior majoring in public relations, said Hunger Talks will feature a lunchroom-style hunger simulation, providing a flashback to elementary or middle school days for those who attend.

“You experience what it’s like to be a child in school with not enough to eat, while everyone around you has food,” Nelson said. “It puts you in their situation.”

Reyna Murrell, a senior majoring in public relations, said working on the Hunger Talks project has changed her perspective on the hunger issue.

“I didn’t know how bad it was. Twenty-two percent of children are hungry in Alabama,” Murrell said. “Because of Secret Meals for Hungry Children, it becomes more of a public thing.”

Murrell said that more than anything, she hopes Hunger Talks raises awareness about child hunger in the community.

“Most people don’t know what it is, but once they know, they will want to give,” Murrell said. “Children depend on us in our community. We have the means to battle it out.”

Hunger Talks will also feature testimonies and stories from a local guidance counselor and the director of Secret Meals for Hungry Children.

The group is sending out an open letter to people and organizations all over the state to spread awareness about child hunger.

“The children are crying out for help, for food and sustenance. It is our responsibility as Alabamians to make sure that their cries don’t fall on deaf ears,” the letter reads.

To pre-order $5 tickets for Hunger Talks, email [email protected]. Tickets are $10 at the door.