Management class aids national charities

Some professors at the Capstone, such as Oscar Holmes, the instructor of Management 320, are taking their classes to the next level and giving their students real world experience while also raising money for charities.

Holmes said his class is different from others because, in addition to completing the usual requirements of MGT 320, students develop and execute their own project to benefit a charity.

“Instead of just having my students do in-class exercises or case studies, which we do, I also wanted them to get some practical experience where they could talk to potential employers about the actual projects they’ve done in class; as well as have them make an impact on the community’s nonprofit world,” Holmes said.

Some of the charities being served by the class are the United Way, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, the American Cancer Society and the Young Men’s Christian Association.

Some of the students in MGT 320 said Holmes’ teaching method has increased their understanding of the effort involved in planning a charitable event.

“My work in this class has definitely helped me in my leadership skills and devotion to philanthropy,” Logan Mayes, a junior majoring in operations management said. “I’ve taken part in philanthropic events since middle school, but organizing the event itself was not only tough, but rewarding. Once the event was complete, I felt very proud of what I was able to accomplish.”

Mayes’s group is raising money for the Armed Forces Foundation, which works to improve the lives of active duty and retired military personnel.

Andrew Wash, a junior majoring in marketing, said the class has broadened his view of the world in ways that are not confined to business.

“The charitable work that I am doing in this class is helping me become more aware of my need to help and reach out to others,” he said. “Doing this work is also giving me a greater perspective [on] social issues. This class also gives me confidence to be a leader after I graduate.”

Some upcoming events include a bake sale in the Ferguson Center for the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates for LGBTQ equality, on Tuesday; and a large crawfish boil on April 13, supporting Make-A-Wish Alabama.

“Chuck’s Fish and 5 Bar have agreed to donate, prepare, and cook 400 pounds of crawfish and Sean Rivers will be performing,” Emily Duncan, a senior majoring in marketing, said. “We will also be raffling off memorabilia signed by members of the 2012 National Championship football team, with winners being announced by members of the team who will be attending the event.”

Duncan said though planning such a major event has been difficult for her group, she finds the work highly rewarding and stays motivated by focusing on the charity her group is supporting.

“After researching Make-A-Wish and reading the stories from children whose wish was granted, I knew I would work as hard as possible to be able to say I helped make a child’s wish come true,” Duncan said.

Fourth annual DCAF to host 12 musical acts Saturday

Sky Lantern Festival honors child abuse victims

UA students return favor, help victims of Hattiesburg